From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of
mmontano@direct.ca
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 8:55 AM
To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: Travel Weekly -- United moves to stem back-to-back
ticketing

Actually the particular rule for UA and I assume all the majors identifies
something more specific.

The wording is:

USE OF COUPONS FROM TWO OR MORE TICKETS ISSUED AT ROUND TRIP FARES FOR THE
PURPOSE OF CIRCUMVENTING APPLICABLE -TARIFF RU=
LES (SUCH AS ADVANCE PURCHASE/MINIMUM STAY REQUIREMENTS) IS NOT
PERMITTED.... UNDER SUCH CIRCUMSTANCE WHEN THERE IS OBVIO=
US INTENT TO ABUSE AND/OR MISUSE RESTRICTED ROUND TRIP FARES.

The practices being avoided and referred to is if you live in Houston and
have to be in Newark for Tuesday/Wednesday is t=
o buy a ticket Houston->Newark on Tuesday with the return leg the following
week sometime. And then buy a ticket Newark->=
Houston for Wednesday with the return leg also in the following week.

Both fares would meet Saturday stay requirements, and would cheaper than a
straight Houston->Newark->Houston ticket.

The rule above states if you are using individual coupons from separate
reservations to do your travel, and using those s=
eparate coupons to circumvent the fare you would of normally paid for your
trip, then you are fraudulently using tickets.=
 This violates your contract of carriage and UAL doesn't have to fly you
where you were planning to go. The simple litmus=
 test is that if you used all the coupons on the dates you booked them, you
would end up being in two cities at once.

The MSP/IAD example below had the full use of all coupons, each trip used
the coupons in sequence and each trip was purch=
ased per the advance purchase requirements. Cheaper yes, against UAL's
rules, no.

How could UAL argue that you didn't book a ticket at 10am to go to MSP for
two weeks and then at 10:15am had to book a ti=
cket from MSP->IAD->MSP because you had to be home on the weekend for a
wedding? If UAL permitted changes to their reserv=
ations without whacking you for $100USD, they might have a point.

Matthew