Worldspan to consider new pricing model

 (6/4/2002)

By Dennis Schaal

ATLANTA -- Claiming the GDS pricing model is "broken" because suppliers pay
almost all of the distribution costs, Worldspan said it is exploring ways to
shift distribution costs to travel agencies, other distributors and
consumers so that each link in the distribution chain can transparently
select the services it values enough to pay for, said the GDS's chief
executive Paul Blackney.
"It's clear that the model is broken and the worst aspect is its
opaqueness," Blackney said. "Suppliers are paying all of the costs and
definitely don't derive all of the benefits."

Asked what options were under consideration to lessen the burden of rising
booking fees, Blackney said suppliers and consumers might choose from a menu
of services.

Over the next six to 10 weeks, he said, the GDS will talk with key agencies
and organizations to solicit their recommendations.

"We're interested in what agency organizations have to say," Blackney said.
"I'm interested in hearing their ideas for creative solutions.

"It's not an assault," he added.