SF Gate: Australian carrier confirms talks over taking stake in New Zealand carrier

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2002/05/29/f=
inancial2144EDT0361.DTL
Wednesday, May 29, 2002 (AP)
Australian carrier confirms talks over taking stake in New Zealand carrier

   (05-29) 18:44 PDT SYDNEY, Australia (AP) --
   Qantas confirmed Thursday it is in talks to buy a stake in Air New
Zealand.
   Chief executive Geoff Dixon said Qantas was holding discussions with Air
New Zealand "on a wide range of business issues, including a minority
Qantas shareholding in Air New Zealand."
   Air New Zealand chairman John Palmer said talks between the two carriers
began a year ago.
   "These discussions have been ongoing between the two airlines since May
last year. The parties continue to discuss options but nothing has been
agreed," he said.
   The airlines' statements followed speculation in New Zealand media that
Qantas was talking directly with the government in Wellington about
acquiring a stake in the airline. The New Zealand government denied the
reports.
   Last year Wellington blocked an attempt by Qantas to buy a 25 percent
stake in the ailing Air New Zealand.
   Instead, the government took an 82-percent stake and injected 885 million
New Zealand dollars ($473 million) into the carrier to keep it aloft.
   However Qantas has made its continued interest clear.
   Earlier this month, Dixon said: "A partnership between us and Air New
Zealand would be very good for Australasian aviation. I've always felt it.
I felt it when I first came into the industry. I still feel it."

On the Net:
   www.airnewzealand.com
   www.qantas.com

=20