----- Original Message -----
From: <lafrance@verizon.net>
To: <AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>

> KLM says will not buy A380 superjumbo jet
>

> Wednesday May 29, 7:03 PM EDT
>
> By Chris Stetkiewicz
>
> SEATTLE, May 29 (Reuters) - KLM Royal Dutch Airlines NV (KLM) (KLM) said
on Wednesday it would not order Airbus SAS' massive 555-seat A380 airliner,
preferring jets half that size and possibly a faster new jet proposed by
Boeing Co. (BA).

> Noting several carriers on popular routes could make good use of the A380,
slated to enter service in 2006, executives of the No. 4 European airline
told reporters they could not afford to gamble on an investment in such a
huge airplane.

> "I'm convinced that there are airlines that are flying fairly thick routes
over the Pacific, maybe one or two over the North Atlantic, that can afford
the A380. But for KLM, absolutely no," said Peter Hartman, the airline's
Chief Operations Officer.

> On a trip to Seattle to finalize details of a recent order for 13 Boeing
wide-body jets, Hartman cited the carrier's 68-year relationship with Boeing
as a factor in its decision, though it also plans to order Airbus A330-200
wide-bodies.

> KLM will take eight 300-seat Boeing 777-200ERs (extended range), including
four on leases, plus two more in a sale and lease-back deal. The carrier
also ordered three 747-400 extended range freighters.

> With those jets, KLM will begin replacing 10 aging 747-300s and expects to
phase out 10 Boeing MD-11s and 12 Boeing 767s with a mix of 777s and
250-seat A330s, Hartman said.

> THE VALUE OF A RELATIONSHIP
>
> In March KLM officials noted aircraft can be had cheaply following the
Sept. 11 attacks and a sharp drop in airline traffic and jet orders. But
Hartman said KLM chose the 777 over Airbus' A340-300 even though it cost
more.

> "We have a very long-lasting relation with Boeing. That means that even
under these circumstances, you are still partners and still have respect for
each other," Hartman said. KLM is never trying to get the lowest price, what
we want to have is the best value for money."

> With the 777-200ER, KLM can carry more payload or fly further than with
the A340-300, Hartman said, adding that the twin-engine 777 can climb faster
than the four-engine A340, which can cut flight times and crew costs.

> Hartman noted flights could be shortened even further, perhaps by two
hours on an Amsterdam-Tokyo route, with Boeing's proposed 250-seat "Sonic
Cruiser." If Boeing delivers on its speed and fuel burn projections, KLM
would buy the jet.

> "Based on what I foresee now, 15, maybe more," Hartman said. But he
stressed KLM would not be among the "launch" customers who get big discounts
for taking the jet when it first rolls off the line, tentatively slated for
2008.

> "There's no necessity," Hartman said. "Knowing our size and place, we try
all the time to be a smart follower, because we can't afford big mistakes."

> New airplane models often get updated soon after entering service as
flight data allow technical improvements. By waiting until after the Sonic
Cruiser launch, KLM could get a better plane, Hartman said.

> A380 SLOWS 747 SALES
>
> Similarly, many airline customers may wait to see how the A380 performs
before joining the seven airlines which have already ordered 85 of the
double-decker giants. The A380 launch has also postponed potential 747
orders, KLM said.

> "It (747 sales) depends how successful the A380 will be," said Jan
Witsenboer, KLM Chief Purchasing Officer. "I imagine some airlines are
waiting to see if (the A380) becomes a successful concept."

> Like the 777 and A330, the Sonic Cruiser would allow KLM to run more
direct flights and bypass "hub" airports, which can efficiently corral
massive passenger flows, but delay travelers en route to smaller cities.

> So instead of flying 400 or 500 passengers from Amsterdam to Singapore and
then Jakarta, KLM can fly 250 to 300 people to each city on separate
flights.

> "That's what the customer wants --more frequencies," he added.
>
> KLM remains committed to Boeing's narrow-body 737 jetliner, but Hartman
said as the airline combines and standardizes its two low-fare subsidiaries,
buzz and Basiq, it could swap their 16 current 737s and BAe146 aircraft for
Airbus A320s.

> Airbus is owned by European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co. (EADS) (EAD)
(EAD), which holds an 80 percent stake, and Britain's BAE Systems Plc (BA).

> TOO MANY AIRLINES?
>
> KLM expects European airline consolidation, beginning with alliances among
major carriers like British Airways Plc (BAY), Deutsche Lufthansa AG (LHAG)
and Air France (AIRF) and perhaps mergers several years down the road.

> Overcapacity, partly a result of preserving inefficient national carriers,
and aggressive price discounting have hampered airline profitability,
Hartman said.

> "We are absolutely opposing this philosophy," Hartman said. "We (airlines)
are making a mistake by bringing in too much capacity after we have cut
prices."