Re: aircraft program success/failure

At 09:55 AM 5/27/02 +0200, KONSTANTIN.VONWEDELSTAEDT@DLH.DE wrote:
>Which aircraft programs do you think have been successful from a
>commercial standpoint?
>
>I've grouped them in three categories - failure (less than 150 sales),
>marginal (150-300 sales), success (more than 300 sales). There are some
>bordercases, for example 250 sales but over a  long perios (like the
>L1011). Please feel free to comment or add to the list. It seems like
>there is only a 50% success rate...
>
>JETS:
>B737    success

I'd break this down further: the three generations of 737 all have been
successes, but some models have been more marginal than others. For
example, is the 737-600 a success or merely marginal? Does it gain the
benefit of the doubt because it enabled some -800 sales? Did the -100
really sell, or was it dead upon arrival?

>B747    success

I wonder if the -300 was successful or not. My perspective is probably
skewed because no North American carriers bought them, and those are the
carriers I'm most familiar with.

>B757    success

The jury is still out on the -300, right?

>B767    success

I'm not sure if this was a success or not. Certainly the 767s
revolutionized traffic between North America and Europe, leading to more
direct routes and frequencies instead of fewer 747s flying between NA hubs
and European hubs. But something about the way airline fleets developed
makes me think they didn't work out as well as was expected. (Regardless,
as a passenger, I love their 2-3-2 coach configuration!)

It might be interesting, too, to looked at how different models have
retained their value in the used aircraft markets. This may also point out
which engines were better accepted and which engines lost in the eyes of
the executives paying for fuel and maintenance.

Just a thought,
Nick