Re: CHINA AIRWAYS CRASH - 5/26/02

AIRLINE / MICHAEL:

We might add for #7, a course sudden change...which could have been to avoid
another missile or a/c, yet I assume that if it were another a/c, they
would have gotten the warning siren. Somewhere I recall reading that it
broke into four pieces. A 13 year old plane isn't that old that it should it
fail like that. assuming its seen every type of weather imaginable in
that space of time. The disaster happened 20-30 minutes in flight at
35K. Might it have meant an aggressive climb-out to that altitude ---
maybe approaching stall warning? Lesson's learned from the AA suggest
that wake turbulence might sever the tail, but not slice the a/c into
four pieces at that height? And as for the fuel tank...wouldn't they
have upgraded their a/c since TWA 800? Well, CI has a poor safety
record. Devilment seems to be my leading theory...

--Mike Burris
   Cambridge, Mass