NYTimes.com Article: Unions Mostly Negative, So Far, on US Airways' Call for Cuts

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Enjoy new investment freedom!

Get the tools you need to successfully manage your portfolio
from Harrisdirect.  Start with award-winning research.  Then
add access to round-the-clock customer service from
Series-7 trained representatives.  Open an account today and
receive a $100 credit!

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/Harrisdirect.html

Unions Mostly Negative, So Far, on US Airways' Call for Cuts

May 25, 2002
By EDWARD WONG

US Airways ended a week of first-round talks yesterday with
its six unions in which it asked for substantial cuts in
wages and benefits to help the airline obtain a federal
loan guarantee. But the largest unions left the table with
mixed reactions to the demands, ranging from "more than
necessary" to "totally unacceptable."

The airline has said it wants to cut a total of $950
million from nonmanagement labor costs to present a
business plan by June 15 to the government to secure the
loan guarantee. David N. Siegel, the chief executive, has
said he wants to shave more than $1.2 billion off the total
costs. The application to the government could succeed or
fail depending on labor concessions.

Union representatives said that the airline wanted annual
cuts of $595 million from pilots; $182 million from
mechanics; $90 million each from the flight attendants and
the customer service agents; and $79 million from fleet
service workers. The airline also asked for concessions
from its dispatchers' union and from sales agents in
Bermuda.

The cuts would come from wages, health care, pension plans
and virtually every other area.

"The initial response is that the proposals are totally
unacceptable," said Joe Tiberi, a spokesman for the
machinists' union, which represents mechanics and fleet
service workers. "US Airways had to know that these
proposals would be unacceptable to our members."

But in such negotiations, airlines often start with an
overly high number. The amounts asked of the unions add up
to more than the $950 million that Mr. Siegel had said he
wanted. Executives will meet with some union
representatives next week to continue talks, although the
machinists' union said it wanted to review the proposals
before committing itself to further discussions.

"We are meeting with all the stakeholders to put together
the restructuring plan," said David Castelveter, a
spokesman for US Airways. "But it would be inappropriate at
this time to discuss the details. We'll leave those talks
in the room."

Last month US Airways reported a first-quarter loss of $166
million. That was its seventh consecutive losing quarter.
It lost $2 billion last year and suffered more than almost
any other airline after the Sept. 11 attacks because it
concentrates its flights on the East Coast.

Nearly 90 percent of the airline's 35,700 or so employees
are members of a union.

"We think what they're asking is more than necessary for
pilot contribution," Roy Freundlich, a spokesman for the
Air Line Pilots Association, said yesterday.

There are about 4,800 pilots at US Airways, with 1,100 more
on furlough. Their salaries range from $35,000 for a new
hire to $280,000 for a senior captain. The pilots are also
concerned about Mr. Siegel's plans to increase the
airline's regional jets to 300 within five years, since
pilots who fly such jets are paid less.

The $90 million that the airline wants to cut from the
flight attendants is about 21 percent of that group's
current labor costs. There are 7,500 active flight
attendants and 2,500 on furlough.

"Attempting to cut 21 percent of the overall
flight-attendant costs in essentially 15 days is not a
reasonable request," said Jeff Zack, a spokesman for the
Association of Flight Attendants. "As we go along, we will
work on a number that we think is most appropriate and try
to come to an agreement with US Airways at the end of the
day that this number will work with them."

The Communications Workers of America, which represents
more than 7,000 active customer service and sales agents,
posted details of the airline's requests on its Web site.
"These discussions are going to be very difficult," the
message said. "We cannot commit to a solution that is
unfair to passenger service employees, and at the same time
we want to ensure the survival of the airline."

Mr. Siegel has said that workers who are paid the most will
have to concede the most, and that employees will be able
to enter into a profit-sharing plan under the
restructuring.

US Airways would be the seventh and largest airline to
apply for a federal loan guarantee. Congress set up the $10
billion program last fall, and only America West's
application has been approved. It received $380 million
last fall, but the government asked for the option to buy a
third of its stock, sending shivers up the backs of airline
executives around the country.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/25/business/25AIR.html?ex=1023375893&ei=1&en=d710b7b02f053468

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company