Boeing may use cash for buybacks, acquisitions

ST. LOUIS, May 22 (Reuters) - Boeing Co. (BA) Chief Executive Phil Condit
said on Wednesday the world's largest airplane manufacturer may use the cash
it is generating from its various businesses to buy back stock and for
strategic acquisitions, which he did not specify.
"We will use that cash wisely; we will deploy it," rather than letting it
sit, Condit said in response to a question at the company's annual investor
conference. Boeing in 2002 expects to generate $2.5 billion to $3 billion in
cash flow, with 2003 targeted above $3 billion.

Condit also said the big drop-off in travel demand since the Sept. 11
attacks will take a while to recover.

"I think it will take a relatively long time for air travel to come back,"
he said.

Shares of Boeing closed at $44.35 on the New York Stock Exchange on Tuesday.

©2002 Reuters Limited.