Boeing cuts 8 widebody jets from 2003 production

By Kathy Fieweger

CHICAGO, May 22 (Reuters) - Boeing Co. (BA) said on Wednesday it will
produce eight fewer wide-body jets in 2003 than originally planned, but it
still expects to deliver between 275 and 300 airplanes next year on higher
demand for single-aisle 737s in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Fewer of the jumbo jets will be delivered as traffic remains weak,
particularly on international routes, said Alan Mulally, chief executive of
Boeing Commercial Airplanes division.

Boeing's projection for 380 deliveries this year remains intact, although
the third quarter will be the period of lowest deliveries, he said at an
investors conference in St. Louis, home of Boeing's military division.

Despite the drop-off in deliveries in through 2003, commercial airplanes
will maintain profitability, he said.

Pressure on the market for wide-body jets is "a concern to us," Mulally
said. Boeing is the world's largest manufacturer of commercial aircraft, and
was hit hard after the Sept. 11 attacks slashed demand for air travel.

It subsequently announced plans to lay off 30,000 commercial airplane
workers to cope with the reduced demand. About 60 percent of revenues for
the company come from the sale of commercial planes to airlines around the
world. The company is also the No. 2 U.S. defense contractor.

Boeing shares were down 1.62 percent in midday New York Stock Exchange
trading, down 72 cents to $43.65. Boeing was the worst performing of all
stocks in the Dow Jones Industrial average last year, but has rebounded from
post Sept. 11 lows on strength in its military businesses.

RANGE STILL RIGHT

"Everything we know says that the range for 2003 is 275 to 300," Mulally
added. "We've taken eight (wide-body) airplanes out of that plan, but we
still have some more insight about upward pressure on the (7)37s."

Boeing Chief Executive Phil Condit first alluded to the diverging demand
picture for narrow and wide-body jets during a first-quarter earnings
conference call but gave no specific figures on how it might change
production.

Wide-body planes have two aisles as opposed to narrow-body aircraft, such as
737s, which have only one aisle.

Low-cost carriers in the United States, Canada and Europe -- modeled after
Southwest Airlines (LUV) -- continue to provide the highest demand, he said.

Dallas-based Southwest flies only the 737 model. Airlines in general since
Sept. 11 have cut back fleet plans and shrunk the number of aircraft types
they fly to help reduce maintenance, training and other costs.

"I don't think Southwest Airlines is a fad," Mulally said. "These are
business models that are so robust to this changing world."

Boeing is also developing a next-generation plane called the Sonic Cruiser,
aimed at the international point-to-point market. But its launch date has
been delayed to around 2010 as the airline industry downturn goes on and
carriers cut back capital spending.

There has been some speculation that Boeing may never get Sonic Cruiser off
the ground.

The Sonic Cruiser would fly higher than current models at just under the
speed of sound with engines behind rear-mounted, double-delta wings.

Mulally said the plane's parameters are still under discussion with
airlines.

"Making a new airplane is obviously a very big decision. On a new airplane,
I'm not in a hurry. We've got a great product line, we've got terrific long
range airplanes with the 767 and the 777. What I really care about is
getting it right."

Last week at its annual meeting, AMR Corp.'s (AMR) American Airlines, the
world's largest airline, said it was working with Boeing on a "limited
basis" on the Sonic Cruiser.

AMR Chief Executive Donald Carty kidded that the Sonic Cruiser may not be
airborne before he is well into retirement.

"I'm not sure that I won't be in your shoes by the time that the Sonic
Cruiser hits the ramp," Carty told a retiree in the audience.

Mulally conceded that an entirely different aircraft model could result from
the Sonic Cruiser technology being studied.

"Even though we don't talk about it a lot, we look at different
configurations that are alternatives to the Sonic Cruiser," he said.

Mulally added the research and development focus within commercial airplanes
is to improve the 777 family, finish the 737 family and develop a 747 with
more range and less noise.

©2002 Reuters Limited.