NYTimes.com Article: Continental Holding Talks on a Link to US Airways

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Enjoy new investment freedom!

Get the tools you need to successfully manage your portfolio
from Harrisdirect.  Start with award-winning research.  Then
add access to round-the-clock customer service from
Series-7 trained representatives.  Open an account today and
receive a $100 credit!

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/Harrisdirect.html

Continental Holding Talks on a Link to US Airways

May 24, 2002
By EDWARD WONG

Gordon M. Bethune, chief executive of Continental Airlines,
said yesterday that the carrier had been in "fruitful"
talks with US Airways over a partnership that would allow
the two airlines to link their routes.

He also denied rumors that he was considering the chief
executive's job at United Airlines, but stuck to the adage
of never say never. "It could snow in July," he said.

US Airways has been searching for what is called a
code-sharing partner to help it extend its route structure
beyond the East Coast, where its flights are concentrated.

David N. Siegel, chief executive of US Airways, has said
that finding a partner is a major part of a business plan
that he wants to present to the federal government by June
15 to secure $1 billion in loan guarantees. In a
code-sharing arrangement, airlines can sell tickets in
which passengers fly one or more legs of the flight on a
partner. The airlines split the revenue, and the passenger
chooses which frequent-flier program will get the miles.

Mr. Bethune said: "We've had a number of talks with US
Airways, and they've been fruitful talks. I think it's an
interesting proposition.

"Dave and I are good friends," he added, alluding to the
fact that Mr. Siegel once worked under him at Continental.
"He knows as well as I do that kind of synergy would work
for him."

Continental is the country's fifth-largest airline, and US
Airways is sixth largest. The two carriers overlap in
markets like New York, and a partnership would let them
consolidate their strengths, Mr. Bethune said. More
important, they would complement each other with their
routes, since Continental has a strong Midwest presence,
with its flagship hub in Houston, and US Airways has a
large market share along the East Coast.

"I think it could be advantageous if US Airways' strategy
is to get smaller," said Jim Corridore, an analyst at
Standard & Poor's. "If they're going to try and get bigger,
it's not in Continental's interest to work with them,
because they would be in a lot of the same markets.
Continental can use US Airways for a lot of the niche
markets on the East Coast."

US Airways declined to discuss details of its negotiations
with Continental, saying only that it was in talks with all
the major airlines except for Delta, whose routes and
markets overlap many of its own. Northwest Airlines has a
strong Midwest presence; United flies many West Coast and
international routes.

"We are talking to a number of the major carriers about an
alliance relationship, both domestic and international," a
spokesman for US Airways, David Castelveter, said. "Because
of our strong franchise in the East, there's great interest
in partnering with our company. We're right now working to
determine who will be the best fit."

US Airways lost $269 million in the first quarter, its
seventh consecutive losing quarter. It lost nearly $2
billion last year. The Sept. 11 attacks crippled it more
than most other airlines, because of the temporary closing
of Ronald Reagan National Airport in Washington, where it
has many flights, and because many business travelers on
the East Coast have started traveling by train.

Continental Airlines reported a first-quarter loss of $166
million, even though it had a $25 million pretax profit in
March. It already has a code-share alliance with Northwest
Airlines.

Mr. Siegel, chief executive of US Airways, has been
traveling to the airline's operations this week to talk to
workers about his proposed plan. He wants to cut more than
$1.2 billion in costs, with $950 million coming from labor.
Employee costs totaled $3.73 billion last year.

US Airways would be the seventh and largest carrier to
apply for loan guarantees from the federal government.
America West is the only applicant to be approved so far,
getting $380 million in backing last December.

A stringent restructuring plan could make US Airways more
attractive to the program's administrators and potential
partners like Continental.

"Sometimes there are a lot of dates until you get married,"
Mr. Bethune said.

As for the possibility that he might go to United, he said:
"I just don't actually have an interest other than in what
I do today."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/24/business/24AIR.html?ex=1023211337&ei=1&en=f7d31ccae69fccad

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company