Air Canada optimistic on recovery despite high fuel prices, U.S. fallout

ALISON AULD
Canadian Press
Tuesday, May 14, 2002

HALIFAX (CP) - Surging fuel prices, a free fall in the American airline
industry and the emergence of more discount operators are putting added
stress on Air Canada, making it difficult to predict when the dominant
carrier might return to profitability, the company's president said
Tuesday.  Robert Milton could only offer cautious optimism to a small group
of shareholders at the airline's annual general meeting, saying economic
uncertainty is hampering a quick recovery in the industry. Climbing fuel
costs and the faltering American airline sector have hit the Canadian
airline particularly hard, he said.  "We're now being affected by
ever-escalating fuel prices in an extremely weak U.S. market, which has
been a cornerstone of our existence," Milton told about 75 people at a
Halifax hotel boardroom dominated by empty seats.
"It has a very significant impact on us. This was a market where we were
generating our most significant profits and we've seen that all change."

Despite that, the CEO of the airline hinted he is considering starting
another carrier that would offer long-haul, low-fare flights, possibly
overseas.  Milton said his marketing department was closely watching
Australia's Quantas Airlines experiment with Australian Airlines, a
recently launched low-cost subsidiary.  "I see that having applicability in
the Canadian market because the Canadian market features tremendously high
summer volumes of tourists visiting from the world over," Milton
said.  "We're willing to adopt some of the best things that other airlines
are doing."  Milton, whose company witnessed a record loss of $1.25 billion
last year during one of the worst slumps in the history of the industry,
said it was working to reposition itself to recover from the dramatic
fallout of the Sept. 11 attacks.  The airline will continue to develop its
low-cost carriers with the introduction this summer of Zip Air, a low-fare
subsidiary based in Calgary that will offer short-haul flights.

Milton said the decision to develop more no-frills services has proven
successful with Tango, its first low-fare carrier that expects to operate
in 23 Canadian cities this summer. Competition from an increasing number of
discount carriers has forced the airline to reorganize its services to
capture more of a market looking for reasonably priced airfares.  Atlantic
Canada is seeing more players move into the area, once dependent only on
Air Canada for service. Halifax-based CanJet recently announced plans to
re-launch its low-cost carrier this summer, joining Conquest in offering
flights to Toronto. And WestJet has moved into Moncton, N.B., with plans to
expand.  "The real factor that's changed the world as we know it is the
advent of the low-fare, short-haul player, a la WestJet or Jet Blue," he
said, referring to two discount lines.  "We have to play that game."

The company is hoping the success of its new cheaper carriers will help
stave off further losses from the impact of terrorism on the U.S. airline
industry, which has been in a tailspin. Heavyweights, such as US Airways,
are rumoured to be discussing bankruptcy.  In Canada, Ottawa provided $160
million in direct aid to airlines to compensate for lost business
immediately after the terrorist attacks.  Milton, who was paid more than $1
million last year, said the company was hoping to see a profit in its
critical third and fourth quarter when air traffic is traditionally at its
highest.  Jacques Kavafian, an analyst with Octagon Capital in Toronto,
said it's likely Air Canada will see a profit in those quarters.  "There's
going be a profit in every quarter," he said. "They'll end the year with a
small loss of about $20 million, but they'll earn $120 million profit next
year."  Milton said the company is also considering introducing an
upgraded, luxury service on some of its planes, but wouldn't reveal
details.  He dismissed claims that Canadian travellers are fed up with Air
Canada's service in the wake of its merger with Canadian Airlines, which
caused a public outcry over long waits and forced the airline to launch an
ad campaign apologizing for inconveniences.

"I look at the global landscape of this industry and I feel pretty damned
good about where we are," Milton said.
"Despite what people think I get letters all day long complimenting our
people on the job they do."  The airline also got 680 complaints from June
30, 2001 to Dec. 31, 2001, according to the federal commissioner who
handles some of the disputes between customers and Air Canada.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBSC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeansocabrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(Coco Reef) http://www.cocoreef.com/
(Coco Reef Resort & Spa)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt