Re: No eyebrow windows

David Ross <damiross@attbi.com> wrote:
Subject: No eyebrow windows

>My question:  As a percentage of the cost of the aircraft,just how much
>savings is there in not having these windows?

David,
   I cannot give you the number you are looking for. But the eyebrow
window is definitely a nasty piece of structure. It is in a very
awkward location with high stress levels. Getting rid of that is
certainly a significant simplification.
   The eyebrow windows were once considered necessary to satisfy FAA
requirements for visibility in turns. Although the letter of the law
has not changed, apparently the interpretation has. Fokker also
eliminated the eyebrow windows when going from the F-28 to the Fokker
100/70. Boeing is now following with the 717.
                              Kees de Lezenne Coulander
-- =

  C.M. de Lezenne Coulander
  Aircraft Development and Systems Engineering B.V.
  Hoofddorp, The Netherlands

   =