NYTimes.com Article: US Airways Plans to Apply for a Federal Loan

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Enjoy new investment freedom!

Get the tools you need to successfully manage your portfolio
from Harrisdirect.  Start with award-winning research.  Then
add access to round-the-clock customer service from
Series-7 trained representatives.  Open an account today and
receive a $100 credit!

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/Harrisdirect.html

US Airways Plans to Apply for a Federal Loan

May 11, 2002
By EDWARD WONG

US Airways said yesterday that it would apply for a loan
guarantee from the federal government and that it might
seek bankruptcy protection if it did not receive one.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission and
in a letter sent to employees, the company indicated that
it would file an application with the Air Transportation
Stabilization Board, which was created by Congress after
the Sept. 11 attacks to help keep the airline industry
afloat. The board is administering the $10 billion in loan
guarantees set up for the airlines, which also received $5
billion in cash last fall. Of a half-dozen carriers that
have applied, the only airline to receive a guarantee so
far is America West, which received $380 million in backing
last December.

But US Airways is the nation's sixth-largest carrier, and
it would be the biggest test case to date of how the
government handles the loan guarantee process and how
companies in the industry will try to use leverage from
such applications to bring down labor costs.

"We must move quickly toward a long-term solution," David
N. Siegel, chief executive of US Airways, said in his
letter to employees. "We will file an application with the
A.T.S.B. for a loan guarantee since we have no other access
to additional funding while we restructure the airline."

Mr. Siegel also said the company would have to submit a
business plan to the stabilization board that shows the
carrier can turn a profit and repay the loan within seven
years. The deadline for the formal application is June 28,
and "if we are going to meet this short timetable everyone
in the US Airways family, including management, labor and
our vendors have to sign off on a new business plan in the
coming weeks," Mr. Siegel said. The underlying message is
that employees of the carrier, which has the highest
operating costs of all the major airlines, should be
prepared for cost-cutting measures.

Unions are wary of the guarantee program in general because
the government will almost certainly ask for a business
plan that involves labor concessions or a cap on wage
growth. The pilots union has said that US Airways
executives have been open about asking for input on the
proposed business plan. So far, none of the unions have
raised serious objections.

"As I have said before, it is likely that many of the
details of the plan will not be easy to deal with," Mr.
Siegel said in his letter yesterday. "But, I will continue
to do everything in my power to be upfront with you about
the challenges we face."

In the S.E.C. filing, the carrier said that "in order to
successfully restructure the company, alternative
restructuring scenarios in the context of a judicial
reorganization also must be considered," referring to the
possible need to seek bankruptcy protection.

In mid-April, US Airways reported a $269 million loss for
the first quarter, its seventh consecutive quarterly loss.
Its operating cost - 12.46 cents to fly one seat one mile -
is the highest of all the major airlines. As of March 31,
it had $561 million in cash and a burn rate of $3.5 million
a day.

Shares of US Airways plummeted $1.35, or 27 percent
yesterday, to $3.60.

"A lot of this is playing the game, but it's a very serious
game with very serious consequences," said Kevin C. Murphy,
an analyst at Morgan Stanley Dean Witter. "It's not
unexpected, given the dire straits that they're in. The
fact that they're being explicit enough to mention
bankruptcy as an option shows how intensely they're willing
to approach organized labor."

The carrier's announcement came as the House Appropriations
Committee is considering legislation that includes a
provision that would end the loan guarantee program.
Airline executives have lobbied against the measure, and
members of the House Transportation and Infrastructure
Committee have said they will try to remove the provision.

Critics of the program say Washington should not be
propping up foundering companies. That is especially true
in the case of US Airways, they say, because the government
blocked a market-based solution last July by scuttling the
company's proposed merger with United Airlines.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/11/business/11FLY.html?ex=1022080089&ei=1&en=c78620c81cc407d9

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company