Re: If I ran United...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Greenwood" <mgreenwood@telus.net>
To: <AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 21:53
Subject: Re: If I ran United...

> In any other industry, if you were offering a product that people
weren't
> willing to pay for you would get rid of it.
Internet Explorer, for instance?

I don't hate first class.  I
> just think the airlines would make a hell of a lot more money if they
forced
> people to pay for their premium product instead of giving it away.
Uh, they're already charging what used to be FC rates for Y these days (or
at least before mid-2001).

  I don't
> have a problem with an airline upgrading someone who flies 200,000 miles
if
> the back is oversold and they need upgrades.  Upgrading someone from a
$299
> fare to $2999 fare just for the sake of it is equally absurd.
If it's unsold, then the value of the seat is otherwise zero.  $2999 was
just wishful thinking...

> I think your analogy of all of the airlines agreeing to do something and
> then one of them not doing it is flawed.  Someone who is a 2K with
United is
> not all of a sudden going to start flying Delta just because Delta
offers
> First Class.
In a heartbeat.  I've seen top platinums on CO abandon the company because
of Gordon Bethune's stating one thing and promptly doing another.  Think
they would hesitate for a second if CO dropped FC and DL didn't?

> You also give the airlines far to much credit.  I will use the
> recent elimination of commissions as an example.  One of the majors
could
> have decided to keep paying commission to grab all of the business from
> travel agents but that didn't happen did it?
The TAs weren't the ones buying the tickets; customers didn't care enough
to save them.  Customers do care enough to switch from a program they
don't like.

> Frequent Flyer programs rule
> the world and dictate what airlines people fly.
Yup, and elite/mileage upgrades are integral parts thereof.