First vs Coach: was Re: If I ran United...

Both "sides" have made interesting arguments. One thing to realize is that
the fares of the "paying" first class passengers are often paid for by
their company; the pax don't pay themselves. So what is the difference
between some person upgrading to first (and to a seat that would have been
vacant anyway) and another person having the company pay the bill? Yes the
airline gets more money from the "paid" first class passenger, but the
passengers are the same. There are loutish first class passengers just as
there are loutish coach pssengers -- having more money or more perks does
not make a person better -- it it did, we would have an answer to our
prison & crime problems.

As for the way people used to dress in first classs, that applied to the
whole plane. I remember coming out to Portland 17 years ago to take my
present job. I flew from Chicago (ORD) to PDX with a change at Denver
(This was Continental). On the plane from ORD to DEN, almost everyone was
dressed in what you might call "business attire"; on the plane from Denver
to Portland, it was somewhat different -- I was the only one not dressed
in "west coast casual."

Now lots of people, even on the East Coast, dress "casually" on airplanes,
even in first class (Miss Manners has just fainted.) Why? some cite the
"democratization" of air travel that lower fares has accomplished.
Personally, if I'm going to be spending most of the day in uncomfortable
planes & walking a long way in the terminals, I'd rather wear comfortable
clothes & shoes. (My sneakers won't set off the alarm at security, but my
dressy Rockports will.)

As for a solution, raise coach fares, lower first class fares so that they
are only 20 - 25% more than coach. It would be curious to see what would
happen. Or for a really off the wall suggestion -- charge everyone the
same, and let the best-dressed sit in first class (as judged by the flight
attendants.)

john

 --
John F. Kurtzke, C.S.C.