Re: HELP -- City airport codes

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Nick Laflamme=20
  To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU=20
  Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 2:43 PM
  Subject: Re: HELP -- City airport codes

  At 08:48 PM 5/3/2002 +0200, you wrote:
  >Courier companies tag parcels with airport codes of the nearest =
airport to
  >the parcel's destination and I plan to check their knowledge of the =
major
  >codes like LHR and LAX, but I'l also like to throw in a few more =
obscure ones.

  >For example, Bulawayo here in Zimbabwe is BUQ. Where the Q comes from =
  >don't know, but there it is.
  >
  >Do you know of any other airports that have unusual codes that don't =
match
  >the name of the town.

  These are hardly obscure, but if you want to emphasize airport codes =
that
  don't match city names, a "Top Ten in the United States" might be:

  IAD - Washington Dulles
  DCA - Washington National (the R is very silent)
  BNA - Nashville
  Berry Field Nashville TN=20
  ORD - Chicago
  Old Orchard
  MCO - Orlando
  Mc Coy Air Force Base
  SDF - Louisville - but why would DHL care about a UPS hub?
  Standiford Field

  SMF - Sacramento
  JFK - New York
  EWR - almost New York
  LGA - older New York

  And, of course, any Canadian airport. Some are less obtuse (YVR and =
YOW for
  VancoureR and OttaWa), but some defy logic (YYZ and YUL for their two
  biggest cities).
  In the not to distant past all Candian identifiers were two letter.
  Along came computerization and they required 3 do a preceeding Y was =
added.

  >I'm sure the DHL people will have a lot of laughs about this tomorrow =
if I
  >can come up with some brainteasers and I would welcome the help of =
the
  >list please.

  You might quiz them on San Jose and San Jose (SJO and SJC)

  >Geoff in Harare

  Nick