Re: HELP -- City airport codes

At 08:48 PM 5/3/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Courier companies tag parcels with airport codes of the nearest airport to
>the parcel's destination and I plan to check their knowledge of the major
>codes like LHR and LAX, but I'l also like to throw in a few more obscure ones.
>
>For example, Bulawayo here in Zimbabwe is BUQ. Where the Q comes from I
>don't know, but there it is.
>
>Do you know of any other airports that have unusual codes that don't match
>the name of the town.

These are hardly obscure, but if you want to emphasize airport codes that
don't match city names, a "Top Ten in the United States" might be:

IAD - Washington Dulles
DCA - Washington National (the R is very silent)
BNA - Nashville
ORD - Chicago
MCO - Orlando
SDF - Louisville - but why would DHL care about a UPS hub?
SMF - Sacramento
JFK - New York
EWR - almost New York
LGA - older New York

And, of course, any Canadian airport. Some are less obtuse (YVR and YOW for
VancoureR and OttaWa), but some defy logic (YYZ and YUL for their two
biggest cities).

>I'm sure the DHL people will have a lot of laughs about this tomorrow if I
>can come up with some brainteasers and I would welcome the help of the
>list please.

You might quiz them on San Jose and San Jose (SJO and SJC)

>Geoff in Harare

Nick