(FLASH)...UAL CEO unexpectedly to step down

UAL CEO unexpectedly to step down

CHICAGO, April 30 (Reuters) - United Airlines parent UAL Corp. (UAL) said on
Tuesday its interim chief executive, hired last year after unions demanded
his predecessor resign, is unexpectedly also stepping down just as the No. 2
U.S. airline tries to forge a concession deal with workers.

In a prepared statement, Chief Executive Jack Creighton said he was brought
on board temporarily, and he would now assist the company in finding a new
CEO. Creighton was a UAL board member when he was named CEO, although he had
no experience running an airline.

The resignation comes at a critical juncture for the carrier, which has lost
billions in the wake of Sept. 11. The attacks involved two UAL planes. The
first-quarter loss was $510 million, on top of a record $2.1 billion loss
for 2001.

"I was brought in for the short term to stabilize United and improve the
relationship between management and employees," Creighton said. "We have
made some important strides in each of these areas, and I will continue to
focus on those priorities as we search for my replacement."

UAL also said it retained Russell Reynolds Associates to conduct a
nationwide search for candidates.

The board was meeting on Tuesday in suburban Chicago as a regularly
scheduled event.

UAL shares slipped 33 cents, or 2.3 percent, to $14.09 in Tuesday trade on
the New York Stock Exchange. The news came after the market close.

Shares of United remain about 50 percent below their pre-Sept. 11 levels.

©2002 Reuters Limited.