Old Airport Buildings

From: "Bill Hough" <psa188@juno.com>

Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 6:06 PM
Subject: NYTimes.com Article: Slow Return as Hub for Aviation

> This article from NYTimes.com
> has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

<snip>

> Preservationists are by now inured to the reality that most
> early airport buildings - overrun in the utilitarian rush
> for more speed, more passengers and more square footage -
> have been demolished, obliterated or runwayed over through
> the years.
>
> Yet to aviation historians, they are shrines to America's
> first love affair with flight, and many are improbably
> historic.
<snip>

The terminal building at Port Columbus, CMH, from which I took my first
flight in a TWA DC2 in 1938m, is still standing along 5th Avenue, close to
the
railroad tracks which carried the Pennsylvania Railroad train "Spirit of
St.Louis", on part of the first transcontinental air-rail journey.   It has
little tower on top of it.  It has obviously been used as some kind of an
office building in recent years.  It looked vacant the last time I passed
it.  I have not been in it since it ceased being used as an air terminal, so
I do not know how much of the (probably Art Deco) interior as a terminal
survives.

The service used a train from New York and continued on plane, Ford or
Fokker tri-motor, to Kansas.

Gerry K8EF

http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley/
http://www.geocities.com/gerryf.geo/eclipseindex.html