improving air travel

Improving air travel
by Harry Browne
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2002 WorldNetDaily.com

Pity the poor airlines.

That's right - I said pity the poor airlines.

Yes, those airlines that try to bump you from flights,
that keep you sitting in the plane on a runway for an
hour, that take so long getting your bags to you, that
have the long lines at the ticket counters. Those
airlines.

I'd estimate that about 75 percent of the problems we
blame on airlines are caused either by government-owned
airports or by the federal Air Traffic Controller
system.

Prior to Sept. 11, the airlines kept offering cheaper
and cheaper fares, the demand for air travel kept
increasing and increasing, the airlines' inventory of
planes and employees kept growing and growing, while the
airports and air traffic control system became more and
more out of date.

The government-owned airports are always so far behind
the curve that there's never enough room at the ticket
counters to process passenger volume quickly, never an
efficient baggage system, never enough gates available
to handle all the planes.

And those flight delays? When they're not caused by the
weather, they almost always are caused by a federal
traffic control system that operates with ancient
computers and typical bureaucratic inefficiency.

Taking the blame

But who gets blamed for all these problems?

The airlines, of course.

Two years ago my wife and I boarded a plane at LaGuardia
Airport to go to Atlanta. The plane left the gate on
time, but we got no further than the runway. The control
tower held the plane on the LaGuardia runway for four
and a half hours.

Why? Because the traffic control system was overloaded
and planes were backed up arriving at Atlanta airport.

So why didn't the plane simply go back to the gate and
let us wait inside the airport? Because there were no
available gates at the overloaded airport.

The pilot was on the Intercom apologizing profusely for
the delay as though it were the airline's fault. It was
almost as though he thought he'd be punished if he said
anything bad about the airports or the air traffic
control system.

And the airline paid for an Atlanta hotel room for the
night (because we missed our connection to California),
even though the airline wasn't responsible.

Making a bad situation worse

Since the sad state of air travel today is primarily the
fault of governments, the Ralph Nader types have a
solution - more government.

They want a "Passenger Bill of Rights" with such
intelligent provisions as making an airline pay a
passenger 200 percent of the ticket price when a flight
is more than two hours late. Presumably, that will "send
a message" to the airlines that they should make
government more efficient.

Public relations

The biggest failing of the airlines themselves is
probably poor training in public relations.

Not only do their employees too often apologize for
problems that aren't their fault, the employees don't
show empathy when it really is called for. They
apologize inappropriately in a collective way, but they
too seldom apologize in a personal way.

When you wait forever in line at the ticket counter,
rarely does the ticket agent say, "I'm sorry you had to
wait so long." When you can't get the seat selection you
ask for, you don't hear, "I'm sorry we can't accommodate
you." When your baggage is lost or late getting rerouted
back to you, no one says, "I'm sorry you've had to put
up with this."

An airline employee needs to learn only two simple
lessons: 1) No one likes to be inconvenienced, and 2)
when inconvenienced, anyone will feel a lot better if
you just show a little sympathy. It amazes me that, in
such a "people" business, I'm not aware of any airline
whose ground personnel are noticeably well-trained in
public relations. (Southwest is probably the best I've
seen, and the telephone reservation clerks for most
airlines seem very well-trained.)

I said 75 percent of the air-travel problems are really
government problems. Probably most of the other 25
percent would be reduced considerably if new competitors
could come into the market and pressure existing
airlines to improve their public-relations skills. But a
lack of gates at the government airports makes it
virtually impossible for a new airline to get started.

Solving the problems

It would take a separate article to explore all the
possible improvements, but two general remedies are
obvious:

Cities and counties should sell their airports to
private companies and make it easier for competing
airports to open within each city.

The federal government should get completely out of air
traffic control. Let the airlines operate the system,
modernize it, and make it efficient.
Let's make air travel fun again.

Harry Browne is the director of public policy at the
American Liberty Foundation. You can read more of his
articles and find out about his network radio show at
HarryBrowne.org.

--
David Ross
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross