BWIA to stay on Tobago route, says Aleong

BWIA to stay on Tobago route, says Aleong
Tobago News

Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of BWIA Conrad Aleong has refuted reports of
an abandonment of the airbridge service between Trinidad and Tobago by the
national carrier of the country.  Speaking exclusively to Tobago News after
a function to christen a second, new aircraft of the fledgling Tobago
Express, Aleong stated quite emphatically that BWIA will maintain its
presence on the domestic route.  Responding to queries about reports of an
intended pull out from Tobago by BWIA from April 15, in order to create a
monopoly environment for Tobago Express, Aleong admitted that the BWIA
would be reducing its presence on the domestic route.  "We will not have
five flights a day any longer but we will have two because when you invest
US $20 million in two planes, you need to keep those planes as active as
possible," he explained. "BWIA has lots of other places it can put it
planes," declared Aleong.  "BWIA does not want to leave Tobago, so we will
keep two flights a day," he added.

Questioned further, Aleong could not say at what times BWIA would be flying
to Tobago. "I am not sure about the times. I have to deal with my marketing
people," he said.  "We would have two flights per day and then we would
have the jets four times per week, which would provide for the fish and the
cargoes on Mondays and Thursdays and the high volume passenger demands on
Fridays and Sundays," noted Aleong.  "We handle the peak periods and
therefore we keep a presence in Tobago. Anytime Tobago Express has a
problem, BWIA would come in and fill that need," he declared. And replying
to another query about Tobagonians being asked to pay the additional $300
airfare to access connecting BWIA's flights to international destinations
from Trinidad, Aleong insisted that this was not so. "BWIA and Tobago
Express have work together to produce the same fare all the way through.
You are just seeing a different expression of BWIA in Tobago. You don't
want to go back to the old days and the only way we can do it is with a
successful new carrier, where we can keep the costs low, give you lots of
volume with new aircrafts and still sustain a product," argued Aleong.
"You would still get the BWIA connections to wherever BWIA flies with no
additional cost to the people of Tobago," he stated.

Earlier in his address to shareholders and guests, which surprisingly, was
held at the old waving gallery an area that had remained out of bounds for
several years to visitors of Crown Point International Airport, Tobago
House of Assembly  (THA) Chief Secretary Orville London warned about an
erosion of the confidence in the airbridge service.  "Over the years, there
has been a perception that that the airbridge service has not been adequate
and efficient. Consequently, there has been an erosion of the confidence in
the domestic service and we have reached the point where a number of
people, still do not even attempt to try to get to Tobago, during certain
time in the year because there is a perception that they would not get
through," contended London.  "One of the greatest challenges that the
Tobago Express, the THA and the Central Government has, is to ensure that
they are able to rekindle this confidence in the airbridge, so that more
people would want to travel," declared London.

Several Tobago shareholders comprising the Tobago Airbridge Consortium Ltd
were presented with share certificates during the function. Among them
were: Allan Clovis - Chairman of the Board of TAC, Emile Louis - Deputy
Chairman, Anthony Moore of Mt. Pleasant Credit Union, THA Assemblywoman for
Bethel Patience Hill Miriam Caesar-Moore, businessman Denzil White, Charles
and Sandra Elias and former THA Assemblyman Gerald McFarlane.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBSC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeansocabrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(Blue Haven) http://www.bluehavenhotel.com/
(Blue Haven  Hotel & Resort)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt