Re: On a wing and a prayer....

<snip>
> In a message dated 4/6/2002 11:36:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> derekprichard@rogers.com writes:

<snip>

> > I thought they would go into more detail about the mechanics of the
> > incident.  I find it hard to believe that an advanced aircraft (A330)
would
> > run out of gas without
> > pilot error. Every aircraft system is duplicated in seperate systems.
Three
> > or more fuel tanks. Seperate. Two engines running in the own area,
> > unconnected.

The program must have been awful if it didn't even explain the engine
failures.  Incorrect maintenance procedure on one of the engines caused a
fuel leak, which drained the tanks feeding that engine.  The crew, unaware
of why the engine was running out of fuel, made the mistake of feeding the
leaking engine from the other tanks until everything was gone.

None of this was supposed to happen, but there was nothing wrong with the
design and construction of the aircraft per se.  If the leaking engine had
been shut down promptly, the flight could have continued on the other one to
a one engine landing. (Or if the mechanic had used the right part.....)

Gerry K8EF

http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley/
http://www.geocities.com/gerryf.geo/eclipseindex.html
http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/pollock/263/egypt/egypt.html