Re: Airline Travel Agent Commissions

My (partial) list of services that travel agents have provided that you
can't get from a web-site or a single airline.

1) Consolidator fares. UAL wants $2400, Consolidator fare for same
flights $1000. Duhhh.

2) On fares between $400-$3000 my travel agent CONTINUALLY beats the
best fare from www.itasoftware.com, www.ual.com, www.orbitz.com,
www.tripeze.com, www.qixo.com, www.expedia.com WELL in excess of any
ticket issue fee (in most cases 2x and 3x)

3) Rental car rates, hotel rates the web sites can't even touch. (and I
DO check.)

4) Travel agents can tell you how full a flight is, in what fare classes
etc. Web-sites and airlines won't.

5) Travel agents have the best user-interface in the world -> The human
voice.

6) Ever shopped for competitive travel insurance on the web? Agents can
handle it with ease.

7) Some airlines and fares can't even be booked online in conjunction
with other travel (Tobago Express.)

8) One point of contact for a complete, complex, interline travel. (UAL
won't touch an AC res, and can't even SEE an AA one.)

Dealing with a web-site or an airline by airline/hotel by hotel basis is
a self-service concept. It, for a good amount of travel, is not the
cheapest or best service model. With well over 60% of the market capable
of self-service for travel, less than 25% actually do it. That's a bit
of a gap.

SABRE and it's compadre's have been built over forty years, it's quite
premature to think the entire model can be replaced in a matter of a few
years.

Matthew