Re: Airline Travel Agent Commissions

I think that the whole idea of giving agents commissions in the first place
was a mistake.  How can an agent watch for the passenger's interests while
being paid by the airline?  That is a conflict.  Airlines should be forced
to sell their product at whatever net fares they can and if you use an agent
let them charge for the service.  Works like that in every other industry.

I know I will NOT fly Pakistan Air for free, but happily pay full fare on
the same route flying Cathay.  Agent or not.

Next when I see how poorly the online systems deal with overseas flights,
everyone needs an agent.  Then paying for the service is OK.

When flying in the US, especially Southwest, who needs an agent?

We live in a (US) world where we have full service brokers like Merril Lynch
and discount brokers like Schwab.  Both make money becuase the markets likes
both.

Travel agents should embrace the new world becuase they are free of the
airline tyranny once and for all.  Service is a very "sticky" product -
people stick with their providers because the service providers know and
understand them.  If you disagree tell me how your online ticket agent
(Expedia, Travelocity et al) took care of you on Sept. 12th.  I know I stood
in line in downtown DC for 3 hours like the rest of the folks on UA...it
wasn't pretty.  Had I used an agent I likely could have done it all by
phone.