SF Gate: The hardships of being a ramp rat with integrity

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2002/03=
/24/TR152681.DTL
Sunday, March 24, 2002 (SF Chronicle)
The hardships of being a ramp rat with integrity
Elliott Hester

   Back in the mid-1980s, before taking a job as a flight attendant -- befo=
re
being yelled at by business travelers, puked on by kids and glared at by
passengers as they gnawed the chicken or beef -- I worked part-time as a
baggage handler at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport.
   It was a different world down there. A world of grunting men and screami=
ng
aircraft engines. A world of spine-cracking physical labor. I remember
kneeling inside the belly of a 727, snatching suitcase after suitcase as
it reached the apex of the belt loader. I'd toss each bag maybe 15 feet
and watch it slide across the metal floor and slam into the cargo
compartment wall. After the wall had been lined with a single row of bags,
I'd chuck the next bags on top, and more on top of that, creating a
mountain of teetering Samsonites that inevitably collapsed in a heap.
   Occasionally, my baggage-loading brethren fell asleep in the cargo
compartment during an extended flight delay. That's right. Waiting for
mechanics to fix a problem or for weather to clear, we've been known to
curl up on a comfy piece of luggage and catch a few Z's. Normally,
colleagues wake the ramper - the baggage handler - when the flight is
ready for departure. But a forgotten few have faced the unthinkable.
   Once, as one of our airplanes taxied toward the runway, a flight attenda=
nt
heard a strange sound. At first she ignored it. But when the noise
repeated itself, she took notice. It was a rhythmic, clanging noise,
according to the flight attendant's report. A noise too weird to emanate
from the belly of a commercial aircraft. The flight attendant gathered her
colleagues, who listened intently. Worried, they notified the captain who
decided to return the aircraft to the gate.
   As it turned out, a ramper had fallen asleep in an unpressurized cargo
compartment. When the plane began moving, he woke and began banging
frantically against the fuselage. If not for the flight attendant's ears
and the captain's actions, the plane would have taken off routinely and
the ramper might have died.
   After two months of working the ramp, having fallen into the rhythm of
driving the tugs that tow luggage carts, loading and unloading passenger
luggage, emptying lavatory toilets (you -don't want to hear the gory
details) and working outdoors from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m. in subzero
weather, I was approached by a senior baggage handler. Vic was a ramp rat
of formidable strength and personality -- the kind of guy people listen to
because they're afraid not to.
   Vic took me to a secluded spot on the ramp side of the baggage-claim are=
a.
This is where we off-loaded arriving bags onto a conveyor belt that
carried the luggage to waiting passengers on the other side of the wall.
Vic was toting a piece of soft-sided passenger luggage. But instead of
placing it on the belt, he laid the bag on the floor. He crouched above
it, and after scanning the area for supervisors, he spoke to me in a
whisper. "This is how things work around here." He unzipped the bag,
rifling through the contents with an expert hand that produced immediate
results. "What you're looking for is this," he said, waving an envelope in
front of my face. "A lot of people, especially old folks, put money in
envelopes."
   At first I just stared at him. Then I shook my head as if I'd just
swallowed a gulp of skunky beer. "This . . . this ain't right," I told
him, backing away.
   When I showed up for work the next night, a handful of rampers (all of
whom had close ties to Vic) greeted me with silence. Unsure of how to deal
with the situation, I reported to my first flight of the night. It was
cold outside. Fifteen degrees below zero, to be exact. Vic's eyes seemed
even colder. "Watch your back," he said, his breath drifting from his lips
in frosty white plumes. "The ramp is a dangerous place."
   He was right. The ramp is a dangerous place. Injuries can occur a hundred
different ways. Once, after being hit by a jet blast, the hood of my tug
flipped up, slammed into my head and knocked me unconscious. With a guy
like Vic as an enemy, my chances of serious injury had increased
exponentially.
   Moments after his threat, I crawled up the just-positioned conveyor belt,
hopped into the cargo compartment of the aircraft and began tossing bags.
When I finished, Vic backed the machinery away from the aircraft. He then
drove away, leaving me stuck in the cargo compartment.
   With the conveyor belt gone, the only way down was to jump. I can't
remember the type of aircraft, but the cargo compartment was high enough
so that I had to hang from the lip of the door and drop several feet to
concrete.
   Later, in a remote ramp area, another tug came out of nowhere and rammed
into mine. The force of the collision threw me to the ground. I suffered
only cuts and bruises, but the incident let me know that my days on the
ramp were numbered.
   I walked into my supervisor's office, feeling a bit like Serpico, the
honest cop played by Al Pacino in a movie about police corruption. I told
my story, but my supervisor simply shrugged his shoulders.
   If I remember correctly, Serpico ended up in a witness protection progra=
m.
I ended up as a flight attendant.
   Elliott Hester flies for a major U.S. airline. His first book, "Plane
Insanity: A Flight Attendant's Tales of Sex, Rage, and Queasiness at
30,000 Feet," was published recently St. Martin's Press.=20
Copyright 2002 SF Chronicle