Re: [Sky-1] Hawaiian to Add Sacramento and Ontario Nonstop Service

This has been my belief for years. Upwards of 10 million
people--probably closer to 15 million--live within an easy drive of
either Sacramento or Fresno (or both). The Central Valley has long been,
and will continue to be, the true growth area of California. (Make all
the jokes you want about Fresno being the murder capital of the US: the
city is growing bigger every year and is just not going to stop.) A lot
of people live there and work elsewhere, either for cost or
quality-of-life reasons. And yet, the air service in the area rivals
that of third-world country.

I think Southwest has, to a large extent, missed the boat on the
interior California market. Sure, they have the coastal corridor (San
Diego to LA to San Jose to Oakland) locked up, but they have largely
ignored the interior of the state, save Sacramento (which is really just
a feeder to Oakland). Fresno to LAX is four hours by car and a lot of
people think nothing of doing that on a weekly or even daily basis. Why
not do it by air?

I think a high frequency, low-fare airline would do a land office
business in many parts of California. Fly between Fresno and Burbank 15
times a day, between Fresno and San Jose 15 times a day. Sacramento on a
similar volume. Make San Jose and Fresno your fortress cities. Then,
expand into other little-served California markets. Carlsbad (in the
growth area north of San Diego) is a good place, as is my old hometown,
Santa Maria. Over to Vegas and up to Portland. But it has to make sense
with low fares at all times: $30 with 7 day advance purchase, $60 at the
gate. All day, every day. Service on board? In the morning, a cup of
coffee. In the afternoon, a can of soda. It is a simple equation,
really. High frequency, low fares, in and out.

I'd give the 717 a hard look, especially with the low-cycle TWAA birds
on the ground. Maybe do a 2x2 like Midwest Express, or keep it 2x3. Or a
mix of both to cater to business and leisure clientele. Aircraft doesn't
really matter as much as getting people out of their cars and onto
planes. It is going to take awhile, though, especially in California.
You'll need some deep pockets to weather the initial storm and get
people talking about the benefits of one-hour plane ride over a
four-hour car ride.

I really thought Allegiant Air might have a chance at doing this, but
they blew it early on. Instead of focusing on a few core cities, they
had the dream of a massive route network like so many other startups.
They were so focused on eventually competing with United and American
that they forgot they had to build a product first. Now they are stuck
doing weirdo charters with "plans" to go back to scheduled service.

How about it. Anybody want to invest?