Trip Report: AC YULxPHL

Comments and questions invited.
Matthew :)
Reading Week (Spring Break, in Metric); so time for another jaunt back
home.  I was invited to Philadelphia for the evening I was supposed to
come in, and couldn’t get a Newark return on the day I wanted to come
back, so PHL it was.  Arrived at the airport (via Aerobus) about 2 hours
prior, after using a Schwartz’s sandwich to ensure that I wouldn’t be
hungry for the next 24 hours.  Airport was busy, but I self-checked in,
and bought my airport tax at a self-serve machine, so I skipped a pair
of lines.  Spent a little time in the Ficus lounge (but there was a
little kid making all sorts of noise – so I left), met up with
ex-girlfriend, went through Customs fairly quickly (5 mins); security
also about 5 minutes, and down to the gate 23 complex (saw the
Cubana/AOM DC-10 arrive while I was there) for
Friday, February 22
Air Canada 316 YUL-PHL  CRJ  C-FVMK (Fin 111) Seat:11A
Fare: 263USD  Sched: 1650-1817  Actual: about that.
There’s gate searches at Canadian airports now, too; first in line, and
then the next person as soon as the first finishes.  Pushed back pretty
much on time, it looked like we were the first a/c not to get de-iced
(weather was 1C/35F with light rain, which stopped about 15 minutes
before we left).  Taxied out to 24L, past the long, sad row of retired
DC-9s.  Departed, and stayed out of the junk long enough after departure
to see some of the long lots and seigneuries on the South Shore.  55-ish
FA who could barely fit down the aisle (and reminded me of a
middle-school math teacher) passed out stale pretzels.  Flew on top at
FL240; some light chop on the descent.  Broke out right over either the
Tacony-Palmyra or Betsy Ross Bridge (I forget which, but they’re close
to each other), floated in the flare, and landed long on 27R.  Lots of
reverse, but it’s still a long taxi back to D5, where we unloaded and
walked across the tarmac and into the terminal.  Bags were circling by
the time we got to baggage claim [don’t like that], and I caught the
SEPTA R1 train right across the cab access road.  20 minute ($5.50 – the
part on the vending machine at the Terminal C&D station where you choose
off-peak or peak fare was worn off) train ride, and a 7-block walk to a
Penn rez hall, and door-to-door, Downtown Montreal to Center City
Philadelphia in just under 6 hours.
Pleasant week at home, etc…
  Took a NJ Transit train southbound an hour earlier than I should have,
since I didn’t want to risk missing the NJT/SEPTA connection at
Trenton.  The earlier one made it, and I had plenty of time to switch at
30th Street, and buy the ticket for the R1 there.  Wound up at the
airport just over 3 hours before my flight, added my Mileage Plus number
to my record (it was a Z-class student ticket; ineligible for Aeroplan
miles now, but no such restriction for UA), switched seat (1A – I don’t
like the CRJ bulkhead, but it was the only left-side window), and sent
off my bag.  10 minute line at security, 2 detectors for the D
entrance.  Pre-checker asked to see ticket and BP; then asked for ID.  I
showed him my McGill card, since that’s the one I keep at the front of
my wallet, and he was absolutely mystified.  He then asked how old I was
(is that even allowed?), and I pointed out where on the card the
birthdate was.  He then demanded my drivers license, which I had to hunt
for, and told me that I needed ID in order to get on the plane.  I had
no less than *6* pieces of photo ID on me, but I thanked him anyway and
went up to the detector.  I put my bag and coat through, passed the
detector, and saw the X-Ray operator remove my bag and place it under
her chair.  Naturally, I wasn’t going to let it out of my sight (camera,
3 lenses, CD player), so I was peering over the mechanism to keep an eye
on it.  Another of the screeners angrily walked up to me and demanded to
know “why you studying this area.”  “Because she’s sitting on my bag.”
Another guy picked it up, and brought it over to the special searching
table, where he directed me to sit in a chair with my back to the
table.  Yeah, right.  I sat on the very edge of the chair, turned back
towards him.  “Aight, take off your sneaks.”  I obliged, not even
bothering to tell him that I wasn’t wearing sneakers.  He swabbed them,
and then sent me away without looking in the bag.  Eeh.  Once you’re
airside, you’re airside for at least terminals B, C, and D, so I
wandered around, since I’d never had the time to check out PHL.  The
rocking chairs between the fingers of C were all occupied, but I was
able to sit down at B15 (right at the main high-speed turnoff for 27R
arrivals, and right at the threshold for 27L departures.  On my way
there, I saw one electric cart driver try to get another out of the way
by saying ‘beep beep,’ which earned her an argument from the other cart
driver who started chewing her out (in the middle of the walkway!) for
being unprofessional.  Spent just over an hour there reading the
newspaper, watched the US 4:30 bank go out, along with 763s from BA and
AF (the Lufti-mutt Star A340 arrived).  Eventually an A321 pulled in to
operate the flight to DEN that was due out at 5:45, and the pax queued
up.  The first guy in line was sent to the table; and someone else was
sent over as soon as he finished.  I went back to my gate at D5, where a
UA ORD flight was getting ready to board.  This time the table checker
(40-ish guy) just strolled over to the line, and picked out a girl
(looked about 17-ish) for, um, “extra attention.”  His lechery was duly
rewarded when her 4 traveling companions (also 17-18-year old girls)
also went over, since everyone in the party had to be searched.  As soon
as the ORD flight went out, an IAD one was called, but nobody was gate
searched for that one (or maybe it was the reverse order, but Dulles
wasn’t searched at all).  AC was changed to D3, and most of the 26 of us
(2/3rds of whom were in an extended family group) that would eventually
board that flight huddled into the waiting area.  The inbound was
slightly late, but we generally boarded (as soon as the gate agents, who
all ran away for some reason, returned) around 1840 for…
Sunday, March 3
AC 317  PHL-YUL CRJ C-FZSI (Fin 152) Seat:1A
Scheduled: 1850-2020  Actual: 1903-2028
Second trip on FZSI (AC316 YUL-PHL Oct 6, 2000)
Had to take my camera bag out of my backpack to make it fit in the
overhead (equipment is in the 1AC bin, I used the 1DF one; I was the
only person in row 1), but I settled in nicely, although there’s no
overhead or underseat storage, the CRJ bulkhead was decent when it came
to legroom.  Push at 1903, off of 27L at 1921, in clouds somewhere over
south-central NJ (I could see what I think was the Trenton area before
losing the ground), flew at FL290, started descent 17 miles south of
Plattsburg (according to the FO’s announcement), broke out somewhere
over southern Quebec (it was too populated to be the equivalent area of
northern NY), and flew a straight-up pattern.  Turned downwind over
Nun’s Island, flew right up the St. Lawrence, past downtown (a tiny
cloud layer took away some of the luster, but the light on top of the
Place Ville Marie shined directly into the cabin every few seconds), and
turned base much further out than usual, well past the L.-H. LaFontaine
tunnel.  Set up on a 7 mile final; and we’re being blown around very
badly (I could feel it was a gusty crosswind; there were some gasps and
moans from rows 2-13).  After the longest 7 miles of flying in my recent
memory, plunked onto 24R at 2023 [a check of the METAR said the wind was
270 at 35, no information about gusts].  Into 23B at 2028, we reach
Customs just behind a Mexicana flight (aargh!).  Our baggage claim
information is blank, I eventually find our stuff (along with a Boston
flight) on carousel 2, which is hidden behind a corner in the back of
the international arrivals area.  Hopped the Aerobus, and then their
free shuttle to a hotel a few blocks away.  Door-to-door in a shade
under 9 hours, being cautious about trains added exactly an hour to the
total.