New Northwest terminal / DTW

I had an opportunity to fly through Northwest's new Detroit hub on Monday.
Although I was only there for an hour, it seems like a very nice facility
and certainly an immense improvement over the old terminal. There are still
a few bugs to work out - the people movers in the regional terminal aren't
working yet, and there are no chairs there either; apparently there are
garbage troubles; and over all there is still a construction-area odour to
the place - but it should be a big hit with travelers.

The ambience is airy, with high ceilings and huge windows. The terminal
itself is higher off the ground than normal. This, combined with the much
more serious trouble of strange anti-glare polka dots on the windows, will
make photography of aircraft from inside the terminal utterly impossible.
This a pretty big flaw in my opinion, but only from a spotter's point of
view. For the average passenger, they probably won't even be noticed.

The facility is quite huge, about a mile long from end to end. There are
many people movers, as well as a monorail train that stops at three
terminals located above the concourse. The centerpiece of the terminal is a
very cool fountain. Underground passage from the regional concourse to the
main concourse is fitted with flashing lights and music, an imitation of
United's ORD terminal, no doubt, though the effect is much less soothing.
The regional terminal has jetways at every position, even for the Saabs.
Unloading took a while, as the jetway operators are just starting to figure
things out. Apparently they had already hit four planes as of Monday, so
they were taking it extra-slow.

There are a good number of shops and restaurants, certainly more than in the
old terminal. Views of aircraft operations are excellent from anywhere in
the terminal, though as I say photography will be impossible. International
arrivals are integrated with departures in the main terminal at eight gates,
which will be a great convenience. Inspection capacity downstairs is
advertised to be able to accommodate eight full 747s in an hour.

Incidentally, if you sign up now at NWA.com, you can receive 1,001
WorldPerks miles for each trip through the new terminal before the end of
the month.

Evan McElravy
emcelr@po-box.mcgill.ca
http://users.penn.com/~cpa1/