[no subject]

Title: Captain Kudwa's Hotline 2/28/02

KUDWA HOTLINE MESSAGE
February 28, 2002

This is Bob Kudwa, and today is Thursday, February 28th, 2002.

The Boeing 727 flew American out of the piston age, helping us build the world's largest airline. On April 30, 2002, the final revenue flight of
an American Boeing 727 will operate, ending a remarkable career for a remarkable aircraft.

The final flight of the 727 out of DFW is cheduled for Friday, March 1st, 2002. DFW has planned a Bon Voyage celebration for Flight #1108 DFW-ATL,
which will depart at 8:41 PM.  Also, there are some festivities planned for the day in DFW ops.  I understand they will be raffling off a B727
model to one lucky crewmember.

The 727's final flight from MIA will take place on April 30th.  I'll get you more information concerning that flight, as we get closer.

Here's some interesting facts pertaining to the 727:

* AA introduced the 727 in 1964 and was among the first 727 operators.

* With 38 years in continuous service, the 727 is our longest-lived type ever.

* AA operated the largest fleet of 727s in the world.  In 1991, AA operated 164 727s.

* Today, we have 23 727s left in the fleet. On March 2nd, 8 will retire. April 7th, 7 more will retire, and on April 30th, the final 8 retire.

* Currently Qualified as of March 1, 2002, we have 167 Captains, 128 F/Os, 127 F/Es and 2 Professional F/Es.

* The first 727 simulator was purchased in September 1966 and went on line Jan 3, 1967.

With its retirement, we mark the end of an era as we look toward the future of American Airlines.

Fly safe and unless something comes up any earlier, I will talk with you on Monday.

Bob Kudwa

*****
Captain Kudwa's current Hotline can be heard on 1-800/967-4568

--AA1108 TONIGHT IS THE FINAL DFW 727 DEPARTURE--
Tonight, DFW's last scheduled 727 flight will get a fond employee send-off.  AA1108, DFW-ATL, is scheduled to depart DFW Gate C2 at 8:40 p.m. CST.  DFW Flight will commemorate the occasion with an employee and customer reception in the Yandry Center, just across from the departure gate, beginning at 7 p.m.  Historic photos, decorations and a 727-model raffle will help commemorate the end of an era at DFW.  The C.R. Smith Museum shop will sell die-cast AA 727 models.  A water cannon salute is planned as aircraft N889AA taxis out.  The final 727 arrival at DFW will be Saturday morning, as AA1638 arrives from CUN at 9:54 a.m. CST (no formal events are planned).  As of March 2, AA will have just 15 727s remaining in service and the final AA 727 flights will occur April 30
to and from MIA.  At one time, AA was the biggest 727 operator in the world, flying 182 of the venerable tri-jets since its introduction in 1964.  With 38 years of continuous service, the 727 is the longest-lived type AA has ever flown.  The versitile, dependable 727 - often called "the DC-3 of the Jet Age" - brought the first jet service to many smaller markets and was instrumental in helping AA transition to all-jet fleet and successfully adapt to deregulation.  TWA operated 100 727s and retired its last 727 in late 2000.  More AA 727 farewell observances are planned.

Attend the Newark Airport Airline Collectible Show & Sale:
http://www.freeyellow.com/members/psa188/page1.html