Less staff but more planes for BWIA

By Juhel Browne (Trinidad Guardian)

While Conrad Aleong, BWIA chief executive officer was advising employees of
staff cuts, he also announced the arrival of two new aircraft that could
cost the company TT$1 billion. Last month, BWIA strongly denied it had
purchased any A340-300s as was reported by the International Lease Finance
Corporation on its Web site in January. The Aviation, Communication &
Allied Workers Union responded that the purchase of any new aircraft at
this time would be premature and unnecessary. BWIA, at the time ,would only
admit that the airline was actively pursuing the acquisition of new
aircraft to replace its ageing Lockheed L1011-500 Tristars. The airline
also intends to retire its McDonnell-Douglas MD 83s.
However, in a March 1 release to staff, Aleong, while warning employees
staff redundancies had to be implemented to ensure its survival, announced
they will be taking delivery of one A340-300 in June and a second in December.

The 181 staff positions to be made redundant were officially announced at a
news briefing on Friday by Frank Sampson, BWIA vice president. Aleong, who
was not present, explained in a release the day before, that the 181 jobs
did not mean 181 people would be out of work.  "Some 40 positions are
vacant and another 14 jobs will involve non-permanent, contract employees
who were hired in 1999 to bridge the gap until the L-1011s are replaced,"
he said. He said the time had come to trim the manpower because, "we do not
have a fairy godmother to inject new cash to cover our losses as some other
regional carriers seem to have. We have to save ourselves, and we do have
the capability, provided we do the prudent things as required by the
changed industry environment in which we find ourselves."  The staff cuts
are in direct response to the fallout from the September 11, 2001 terrorist
attacks in the United States. Aleong said if they did not act now, greater
numbers will be required to go in the future. VSEP and early retirement
packages have been offered to minimise the impact of the redundancies.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)

CBSC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeansocabrassconnection/
Steel Expressions Orch
http://www.escape.ca/~ejames/se/
email #1: mailto:steelexpressions@yahoo.com
email #2: mailto:steelexpressions@home.com
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(Flowerline) http://www.flowerlinetnt.com
(Flowerline Florist)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://195.224.187.36/