Re: LAX southside tunnels closing

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Mueller" <kawika42@mac.com>

> Connecting tunnels on the Lower/Arrival Level between Terminals 4 and 5,
> and 5 and 6 will be closed. The Upper/Departure Level walkways between
> Terminals 6, 7 and 8 will remain open as they accommodate United
> Airlines passengers.
>
> The connecting tunnels were part of the original 1950s design of the
> airport and are viewed as a passenger convenience because travelers
> using these tunnels did not have to leave the secured area of one
> terminal to be re-screened at another terminal to catch a connecting
> flight.

Despite flying through LAX frequently (but mostly on UA) I didn't realize
that these connecting tunnels were still open.  I thought they were closed
when they connected the satellites to the landside terminal via extended
above ground concourses, rendering the underground walkway redundant.

For instance at the United terminals the escalator pit has been decked over,
with no trace that the entrance to the underground walkways ever existed.

Nonetheless, I think it is a bad idea to eliminate this convenience,
especially now that all LAX security is now under the aegis of one agency.

Kenneth Lin