Re: Trip Report YUL-YYZ-YQT-YYZ-YUL

Original Message:
-----------------
From:  Jean-Michel_Gammon@albint.com
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:16:51 -0500
To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Trip Report YUL-YYZ-YQT-YYZ-YUL

Just a brief report with a few aircraft impressions as I've added two more
types to my personal log (YUL=3D Montreal/Dorval, YYZ=3D Toronto/Pearson, YQT=3D
Thunder Bay).  All in Y class.

YUL-YYZ

This was a new type for me, AC's new A321.  Aircraft was 451/C-GITU, the
first A321 in AC's fleet.  Ugly green seats.  I mean GREEN.  BRIGHT
green.  And interestingly the seat pitch was tighter (confirmed by a F/A)
than I recall on the A319/320.  Video system was not working, crew not yet
trained on the new video system.  Seats were grossly uncomfortable for my
bad back, pushing in all the wrong places.   Glad it was as short hop.
Push was on-time as was arrival.  F/A said that this aircraft was from a
cancelled Aer Lingus order (can anyone confirm?).  That might explain the
very GREEN seats :-)

YYZ-YQT

The normally allocated 737 was replaced by an A319, 262/C-FYKW.  Love the
319, almost worthy successor to the Nine, climbs like a homesick angel.
And I can confirm, much more comfy seats than on the A321 not to mention
more leg room due to more generous pitch (an inch or so makes a hell of a
difference). Push/arrival on-time.  This was a nearly 2 hour mealtime
flight and the only service was drinks and pretzels.  On a full-fare
ticket costing a whopping $1700 with taxes.  Not acceptable

YQT-YYZ

A 737-217 519/C-GCPY.  Too bad they kept these and retired the Nines.
What more can I say?  Another pretzel flight but it wasn't mealtime.
Overhead bins full, and I couldn't fully get my laptop breifcase under the
seat in front due to a ventilation/heating outlet robbing room.  Take-off
much less sprightly than an A319 even though the A319 no doubt did a FLEX
takeoff from YYZ given the generous runway (the 321 out of YUL was also
very sprightly having used RWY 28 which is only 7000 ft). Some light icing
on descent into YYZ.  Push/arrival was on-time.

YYZ-YUL

Another new type (for me), an A330-300, 934/C-GFUR.  I was in 43C. Way
back, but in a good spot to see something cool, the ailerons droop with
the flap setting.  Those big RRs are NOISY on takeoff and at climb power
but eerily quiet in cruise.  Very smooth ride.  Seats not great for my
back though.  Odd little cushions in the seat in front filling a blank
space that looks like it should be for a personal video screen.  Sort of
like my basic Honda where switch blanks are in places where options like
fog lights, etc, normally appear.  This was the only flight not on-time:
pushed 10 min. late, then had to hold at the runway end awaiting final
load figures.  Given our light weight (short 1 hr hop) performance was
great.  Climbed to FL370 for a flight that was only 51 min. in the air!
Basically up, then down.  Overall we were about 20 min. late into YUL.
Aircraft was headed onwards to Paris CDG afterwards.

Everything ran efficiently:  baggage arrived with me, mostly on-time
flights (and the one that was delayed wasn't too serious).  Reasonably
friendly staff. Load factors very high.  Dinky baggage carousels at YUL
simply overwhelmed when a large widebody arrives with lots of pax.
Clearly the baggage handling system at YUL is not up to par.  AC seem to
be getting the merger kinks out except for on-board service, down to
pretzels on a flight that used to have at least a light meal.  At $1700
that's not very good.  I guess that's what expense accounts are for,
bought lunch at the airport and had a nice prime rib at the hotel after
arrival (at 19h15).  Security checks were relatively efficient.

Bottom line, if I had to spend more than an hour in Y class in any of the
above aircraft, my favourite mount would be the A319.

All in all though, I prefer flying in my Cherokee :-)  The airport is a
lot friendlier too...

Mike Gammon

http://mail2web.com/ .