Re: peanuts and other nuts

Douglas et al.,

I think everyone understands the seriousness of peanut and other
anaphylactic food allergies.
However, the initial response to this by the airlines and others -- to
stop serving peanuts on flights -- was misguided.  This is because the
airline cannot guarantee a peanut-free flight -- airliners will continue
to contain peanut fragments and dust for a long time after peanuts are
no longer served, and, more importantly, an airline cannot effectively
prevent passengers from bringing their own peanuts.  In addition to the
usual snack bags of salted peanuts, thousands of processed foods,
including cookies, cakes, breakfast and energy bars, sandwiches, fried
foods, etc. contain peanuts or peanut oil.

There is no possible way for an airline to provide a peanut-free
environment, so it is, from a liability standpoint, a bad idea to try,
since if an allergic passenger is told that peanuts are not served on a
particular flight, and then he/she suffers an allergic attack due to
some other passenger's carry-on food, the airline may be liable.

Therefore, if I were an airline's legal counsel, I would recommend that
airlines disclose that any flight may contain peanuts and other
anaphylactic food allergens, whether they are served by the airline or
not, and I would further require than any passenger disclosing a peanut
or other anaphylactic food allergy sign an informed waiver of liability
and assumption of risk before they could get on my aircraft.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@postmodern.com