NYTimes.com Article: Sex and Absurdity in the Not-Always-Friendly Skies

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

Sex and Absurdity in the Not-Always-Friendly Skies

February 13, 2002

By JOE SHARKEY

ELLIOTT HESTER'S new book has gone into a second printing,
and that's probably a good sign.

It suggests that we are starting to come out of it. Though
the commercial aviation system remains under the tightest
security measures ever, and new warnings keep coming about
terrorist threats, the book's success shows that we can at
least laugh again about the fundamentally miserable, and
altogether unnatural, experience of traveling by air.

The book is "Plane Insanity: A Flight Attendant's Tales of
Sex, Rage and Queasiness at 30,000 Feet," published Jan. 14
by St. Martin's Press.

"It was originally supposed to be released Oct. 3," said
Mr. Hester, who has been a flight attendant since 1985. But
early October was no time to be promoting a book that has
chapter titles like "Payback for a Condescending Jerk,"
"Pass the Defibrillator, Please," and "Lechery at 30,000
Feet." So it was delayed for three months, till things
calmed down.

Another terrorist attack would, of course, revoke this
immediately, but now, deep in the winter of 2002, there is
a sense, especially among business travelers and other
frequent fliers, that flying is starting to return to
normal.

Calculating traffic route by route, a few major airlines
have been quietly rebuilding flight schedules that were cut
as much as 20 percent after Sept. 11. Yesterday, for
example, America West Airlines said it had restored flights
between Las Vegas and New York, Boston, Dallas and Denver.

And in a definite sign that normalcy is struggling to
break out, United Airlines customers have been growing
increasingly worried about the possibility of disruptions
from a threatened strike by the airline's mechanics.

Mr. Hester sees normalcy returning in the way that frequent
fliers have resumed old habits. "Initially, right after the
skies reopened in September, there was this tremendous
sense of camaraderie,"he said.

"People were making a point to talk to the person in the
seat next to them. People would say, `God bless you' to the
flight attendants; they would shake my hand. It was clear
that passengers realized, for the first time, that we were
literally all in this together."

He added, "I've had guys come up to me privately and say,
`Look if you need any help, let me know.' "

Lately, that overt foxhole fellowship has waned. "People
have sort of fallen back into their old routines," Mr.
Hester said. "And that's good in a way."

It's certainly good for a flight attendant who, like Mr.
Hester moonlights as a writer dependent on the amusing, if
sometimes annoying, foibles of the traveling public (not to
mention his airline colleagues), for the anecdotes and
observations in his book, and in his monthly syndicated
column, "Out of the Blue," which is published in several
daily newspapers.

Material comes from all sections of the airplane. But
business travelers, who of course fly more than most people
(and are therefore exposed to far more, shall we say,
stimuli from the airlines) often provide the kind of
anecdotes that leave flight attendants fuming and muttering
dark imprecations to one another in the galley.

"High-powered people sometimes get on an airplane and feel
insulted by the fact that a 22-year-old flight attendant is
telling them what to do" or not hopping fast enough in
response to barked orders, Mr. Hester said.

Among the secrets Mr. Hester shares is one that might annoy
business travelers who live for those upgrades to the
first-class seats that airlines routinely bestow on
frequent fliers. Flight attendants receive a passenger
information list that has pertinent information on it about
the customers, including who is an "upgrade" and who has
paid the full fare.

"I hate to say this, but when you have trouble, it's
usually from an upgrade," Mr. Hester confided.

Still, flight attendants tend to be egalitarian in their
assessments. Most customers, regardless of the fare they
paid, are courteous and pleasant, but it only takes a
single stinker or two to ruin someone's day in a crowded
airplane 30,000 above the ground, and Mr. Hester says that
trouble can start anywhere.

"I've come to the conclusion that 2 percent of the
traveling public is certifiably insane," he writes, adding:
"The percentage is slightly higher for airline crew."

As regards his book, long-suffering frequent fliers are
probably less interested in flight attendants' gripes about
one another or about the customers, and more interested in
the suggestion, in the "Tales of Sex" that Mr. Hester cites
in the subtitle, that some other passengers are having more
fun, and it has nothing to do with a mileage upgrade.

But isn't the fabled "Mile-High Club" - membership
supposedly restricted to those who have had sex at 30,000
feet and higher - mostly an urban, or tropospheric, myth?

Absolutely not, Mr. Hester insists. "Mile-High Club
liaisons are most common late at night, when lights are
low" and take place in isolated seats or in cramped
lavatories, he writes in the chapter, "Lechery at 30,000
Feet." Many details ensue.

Mr. Hester says that though such behavior is "often
thwarted by storm-trooper flight attendants who threaten to
summon security upon arrival, most of my colleagues are
like me - they turn their back on passenger lasciviousness
just as long as it doesn't disturb other passengers."

Mr. Hester quotes a United Airlines spokesman who told him,
"Although no one is getting hurt, this type of activity is
not to be tolerated."

Another chore for the overworked flight attendant. Still,
Mr. Hester says, he would not trade his day job with one of
those highflying grunts hunched over a laptop and a Scotch
in the first-class cabin, or the frolickers in the back
seats.

"Over the years I have traveled to probably 40 different
countries on my own, not counting layovers," he said. "I
live the life of a wealthy man without having to have any
money."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/13/business/13TRAV.html?ex=1014633070&ei=1&en=0e99891e20ce2f9b

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company