SLC flights rerouted during ceremony

....At the airport, flights were rerouted as authorities moved to enforce a
shutdown of flights during the opening ceremony. A total of 332 flights were
rescheduled or canceled during a four-hour period from 6-10 p.m.

A few people stood around watching the opening ceremonies on a large
television at the airport, where screeners and security guards stood around
with nothing to do.

"I thought Delta (Airlines) would give me free tickets to the opening
ceremony because they stranded me here," said Nancy Johnson, who had to sit
out the airport closure before she could connect to a flight home to
Seattle.

Flight restrictions went into effect at midnight Thursday for a 90-mile wide
area over Salt Lake City for the remainder of the Olympics. Until the games
are over, only commercial airliners and planes that go through security
checks at four gateway airports in other states will be allowed through the
airspace.

Making sure the airspace is clear will be about a dozen U.S. Customs Black
Hawk helicopters and several F-16 jets stationed at nearby Hill Air Force
Base.

"If you violate the restrictions you will be able to tell your children and
grandchildren you flew formation with the Department of Defense or Treasury
Department," FAA spokesman Mike Fergus said.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20020209/D7HI9F3O1.html

Walter
DCA