Angolan authorities hold Sting's brother-in-law as aircraft strays into military area

I seem to remember a Learjet (?) crew landed in Angola under emergency circumstances many years ago and ... I don't remember if they ever saw the light of day again.  I do remember the aircraft was impounded.

Angolan authorities hold Sting's brother-in-law

Sting's brother-in-law is being held by the authorities in Angola after his light aircraft strayed into a sensitive military area.

John Davies, the half-brother of Sting's wife, Trudie Styler, was detained on January 25, along with the plane's British pilot, Reginald Weaver, and a South African businessman.

It is believed 55-year-old Mr Davies, a professional hunter and game ranger, had been on a tour of safari lodges and hunting concessions in Namibia's Caprivi Strip.

Foreign Office officials, representing the British Consul in Angola, talked to the men on January 29, when they were said to be in good health.

Officials are now trying to arrange a second meeting with the men, who are thought to be in the town of Calai, near the Namibian border.

Mr Davies's girlfriend, Sarah Drewett, 46, a professional horsewoman from Rugby, Warwickshire, who now lives in South Africa, said: "Luckily, John is very tough. He served in the Army and knows how to survive in the bush, so I am hoping he is coping all right."

The area of southern Angola where the men strayed has been the scene of activity from fighters from the rebel Unita guerrilla group , which has been fighting the Angolan Government since the country won independence from Portugal in 1975.

Story filed: 10:23 Friday 8th February 2002