Gov't Working on Frequent-Flier IDs

in the report...
...Ridge was speaking to the National Press Club, where a woman who
identified herself as a 67-year-old grandmother complained about a recent
flight being delayed while airport security searched her shoes and combed
through her bag of souvenir t-shirts, "Barney" books and Swedish meatballs.
Ridge told the woman, who was Caucasian, that even though he's only been on
the counterterrorism job for 120 days he was certain she did not "fit the
profile" of a suspicious passenger meriting close inspection.
"I'm sorry you were inconvenienced, but those things are going to change
when we federalize the standards. And that's happening within the next week
to 10 days," he said. ...

The full deal....
WASHINGTON (AP) - Questioned by a frustrated air traveler, Homeland Security
Director Tom Ridge said Thursday that government and airline officials are
at work on a frequent-flier ID card that - for a fee - would speed regular
travelers through airport security.

"I think people would pay for the convenience of easier and quicker access,
so we are discussing that," Ridge said. "It makes some sense to me."

A voluntary biometric identification system would be used to guarantee the
security of such "E-Z pass" cards, he said. Biometric systems use
fingerprints or retinal patterns to identify people.

Ridge said discussions on establishing such a system will continue when he
meets with airline industry officials next week.

Ridge was speaking to the National Press Club, where a woman who identified
herself as a 67-year-old grandmother complained about a recent flight being
delayed while airport security searched her shoes and combed through her bag
of souvenir t-shirts, "Barney" books and Swedish meatballs.

Ridge told the woman, who was Caucasian, that even though he's only been on
the counterterrorism job for 120 days he was certain she did not "fit the
profile" of a suspicious passenger meriting close inspection.

"I'm sorry you were inconvenienced, but those things are going to change
when we federalize the standards. And that's happening within the next week
to 10 days," he said.

Ridge, whose speech fell on the same day that The New York Times quoted
administration officials raising doubts about his authority, said the
president's support is all he needs to get his job done.

"I've at least had $38 billion worth of budget authority in four months.
That's not so bad," Ridge added.

Asked about the safety of America's nuclear power plants, Ridge said
reactors were designed before anyone envisioned an airplane being used as a
missile and so the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is working with power
companies on upgrading safety standards.

He said the government will continue to restrict airspace around nuclear
facilities and use fighter jet patrols or fighter jets stationed within
striking distance to enforce those restrictions.