Re: In defence of Heathrow

Runway selection is based on wind.  Usually, the main runways airports
use are where the prevailing winds are found most days of the year (a lot
of research goes into prevailing winds and winds in general at airports
before runways are built).  Some airports, however, have the winds change
seasonally...in winter, winds are from one direction and in summer,
they're from another.  And there are some airports that hardly ever
change.  Example of an airport where the winds are usually the same all
year long is San Juan.  It is rare to see planes taking off on Runway 26
and 28.  Hopefully I explained it simply and that it satisfies your
question....I can explain it in a longer version if you have problems
understanding this version, so let me know.

Alex Nieves

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:28:33 +0300 Smurf <smurf@zajil.net> writes:
> I always thought that the runway selections were based on wind
> direction and
> not seasonal. Therefore the fact that its summer or winter shouldn't
> have
> any bearing on when Rwy09 is in use..... Or is LHR different to the
> rest of
> the world?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mutt.