US puts airport security firm on notice

WASHINGTON, Feb 6 (Reuters) - The U.S. Transportation Department said on
Wednesday it would quickly replace baggage and passenger screening run by
Argenbright Security if the embattled firm failed to meet post-Sept. 11
standards for airport security.

John Magaw, ???Transportation Security Administration, briefed members of
Congress on the agency's plans for taking over screening contracts from the
airlines on Feb. 17.

Those contracts expire next November when the security admininstration will
take over screening operations at 429 U.S. airports.

The TSA will employ between 30,000 and 40,000 screeners and other security
personnel and has a proposed budget for next year of $4.8 billion.

While the Transportation Department is refusing to contract directly with
Argenbright, the company will still perform screening work at numerous U.S.
airports under the extension of existing agreements with airlines.

The government will reimburse those carriers who have their own contracts
with Argenbright.

"Where Argenbright has an existing contract we are going to look at that
performance quickly. If we see that they are not measuring up then we would
replace it," Magaw told members of the House of Representatives
appropriations subcommittee on aviation.

Atlanta-based Argenbright, a unit of British-owned Securicor Plc (SCR),
pledged to work for a smooth transition to a federal screening workforce.

The company has had several high-profile security lapses in addition to a
criminal case in Philadelphia over its hiring practices.

Argenbright also operated the screening checkpoint at San Francicso
International Airport, where an apparent security mix-up last week prompted
the evacuation of thousands of people from the United Airlines concourse.

The company employs 6,000 screeners and controls 40 percent of passenger and
baggage screening services at airports nationwide.

The State Department has proposed that Argenbright be barred from signing
any federal contracts because of alleged problems the firm had with that
agency.

But the Transportation Department could have done business with it anyway,
if the agency had found doing so was in the public interest.

Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta has elected not to sign any contracts
with Argenbright, which submitted no bids for the work, a company
spokeswoman said. Bids were due on Wednesday.

David Beaton, Argenbright's chief executive, said in a statement that
Mineta's decision to not contract directly with the firm was not surprising
nor significant since private screening companies will all be replaced by
the end of the year anyway.

"We believe the DOT's decision, which we understand was based on the State
Department's proposed debarment, is unnecessary but we want to do everything
possible to cooperate and minimize disruption to airlines and their
customers," Beaton said.