Re: EU considers ways to hit foreign air subsidies

OK, David you did ask!

If something impinges upon the lives of EU citizens then the Commission
feels it has a legitimate right to rule on such matters in as far as it
affects EU citizens. If UAL/USA don't want to fly to an EU country then I
don't imagine that the Commission would 'stick it's nose in', however if
they do want to fly to LHR, MUC, FRA, CDG, etc then they are going to have
to expect the deal to be examined.

And while I'm here, the US does indeed meddle in every single country's
affairs on this planet, but that's not a topic for an aviation list! Except
for the old-done-to-death example of Airbus 'subsidies' - from my
perspective if Airbus want to subsidise a program 0 or 100 percent - it's
none of the US's business, but they still insist on sticking in the
proverbial hooter - don't they!

Alastair

>This EU I'm beginning to think is the devil himself.  First it wants to
>meddle in the affairs of the United States (e.g. the UAL/USAir merger) now
>it wants to regulate foreign airline fares. And what is this about it being
>upset about the US government giving aid to the airlines.  I am personally
>against this myself but I'm an American citizen and have the right to think
>this is wrong.  The EU should keep its nose out of it. (Same thing works the
>other way - if the US started sticking its nose into a EU equivalent, I
>would say it's wrong).

***************************************
Dr. Alastair T. Gardiner

Microbial Photosynthesis Lab 217
Davidson Building
IBLS-Division of Biochemistry & Mol. Biol.
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ
Scotland

Tel. (+44) 141 330 6449
Fax. (+44) 141 330 4620
E-mail. atg3v@udcf.gla.ac.uk

http://www.gla.ac.uk/ibls/BMB/rjc/agardiner.html

Personal web pages at
http://www.geocities.com/atg3v

Have a look at my airliner photography at
http://airliners.net/search/photo.search?emailsearch=atg3v@udcf.gla.ac.uk