NYTimes.com Article: Extra Waiting Time Is Turning Fliers Into Buyers

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Share the spirit with a gift from Starbucks.
Our coffee brewers & espresso machines at
special holiday prices.
http://www.starbucks.com/shop/subcategory.asp?category_name=Sale/Clearance&ci=274&cookie_test=1

Extra Waiting Time Is Turning Fliers Into Buyers

February 4, 2002

By SARA RIMER

PITTSBURGH, Feb. 2 - Michael Weller had unexpectedly sped
through security at Pittsburgh International Airport. With
three hours before his flight, he headed straight to the
Soxx Shop, wedged between Timberland and the Gap and across
from Nine West, Clinique and the Tie Rack.

"I have an obsession with socks," said Mr. Weller, 50,
browsing through the racks of socks decorated with hearts,
baseballs, tools, musical instruments and 12 breeds of dog.
In the past he would have hurried to his gate. But now Mr.
Weller, a mental health services coordinator who was flying
to Tampa, Fla., for his father's 80th birthday, could
afford a leisurely search for what he called the therapy
sock, emblazoned with a psychiatrist's couch.

Mr. Weller was indulging in what experts in the airport
retail trade refer to as dwell time. With the increased
security measures that have been in place since Sept. 11
requiring them to arrive earlier, passengers at airports
have a lot more dwell time these days.

Pittsburgh, with more than 100 shops, restaurants and bars,
has what many travelers consider some of the best airport
shopping in the country. Figuring out what to do with the
extra dwell time does not seem to be a problem here.

"I just shop," said Sandi Gainey, who was buying socks at
the Soxx Shop for her daughter and later planned to go to
Timberland for a shirt for her son, Discovery for a toy
whale or dinosaur for another son, Victoria's Secret for
lingerie for her daughter and, finally, Perfumania for a
scent called Ombre Rose for herself.

At Pittsburgh International Airport, the number of daily
passengers has fallen from 58,000 before Sept. 11 to
50,000, a drop of about 14 percent. But because people at
the airport are spending more on average, sales were down
only about 11 percent between September and December, said
Kim Seyler, business development manager for BAA
Pittsburgh, which leases and manages the concessions. When
the final figures come in, sales for 2001 are expected to
be about the same as for 2000, Ms. Seyler said.

The Soxx Shop is on what retailers call the 50-yard line,
an equal distance from the airport's four terminals. In
September, Nina El-Tobgy, the owner, was fighting panic.
"We thought we were done for," she said. "Our business was
50 percent down. But it started back in October."

Bill Newlin Jr. had tried to remain optimistic about his
plan to open two Ben & Jerry's ice cream stands, in
addition to the three Seattle's Best coffee shops he was
operating at the airport. "You just say, `People are going
to fly again. Our way of life depends on it,' " Mr. Newlin
said.

He opened the first Ben & Jerry's, in the center of the
shopping area, in December, and the second one, in the B
terminal, three weeks ago.

Stepping up to the counter of the one in the shopping area
at 11:45 a.m., Alik Widge, 29, a graduate student at
Carnegie Mellon University who was going to Los Angeles for
a fellowship interview, ordered a cone with one scoop of
triple caramel chunk and one scoop of peanut butter.

Something comes over people at airports. One manifestation
of this altered behavior Mr. Newlin has observed is that
customers eat more ice cream than they ever would outside
an airport.

"They're either traveling on business, so someone else is
paying, or they're on vacation, and the cuffs are off," he
said, adding that the usual concerns with low-fat this and
low- fat that are left on the other side of the security
gate. "It's a different culture in airports."

Now there are signs that the culture may be changing in
other ways. For one thing, it is slowing down. With
security lines, like the ones here, frequently not as long
as expected, people are not racing through the airports the
way they used to. They are buying even more sundaes than
Mr. Newlin had hoped.

Sipping a cup of Seattle's Best coffee, Dan Edwords, 54,
who travels all over the country servicing pharmaceutical
equipment, reflected on his own changing airport habits. "I
never spent more than 15 or 20 minutes in an airport before
my flight," he said. "My wife would always say, `You'll
miss your flight.' But I always made it."

Now he routinely arrives two hours early. "I'm eating
more," he said "I'm reading more Agatha Christie novels."

Mr. Edwords, who was on his way to Dallas and next week
will be going to Anchorage, is adjusting. The Pittsburgh
airport turns out to be a good place to adjust in the
consumer age.

At Bath & Body Works, Sally Bickerstaff, 57, a secretary at
an elementary school, was stocking up on Sweet Pea lotions
before her flight to Atlanta to visit her daughter. She was
traveling with her husband, Robert. So where was he?

"He's over there, buying books," Mrs. Bickerstaff said,
pointing to the W. H. Smith store across the way.

Joe Michael, 42, a venture capitalist heading to Toronto,
was at the Soxx Shop. "I forgot my socks," he said,
scooping up four pairs. "These are my doctor socks," he
said, holding up a pair decorated with medical symbols.
"I'm going to wear these when I do biotech deals."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/04/national/04AIRP.html?ex=1013841335&ei=1&en=53358c6c4528b94a

HOW TO ADVERTISE
New York Times on the Web, please contact Alyson
Racer at alyson@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company