Re: Security & Freedom (was Free background check -do it!)

To Greg's point:

The value proposition for business travel has already been seriously and
adversely impacted, especially on short and medium hauls.  Cancel first/last
flight in many markets (the trips most used by business travelers to get in a
full day at destination), add time for security processing, add more for the
uncertainties that many of us have experienced and seen reported, add more if
you now need to retrieve a bag.

The resulting loss of productivity (which is most of what airlines sell at
business fare levels) is driving some of the high fare market to Part 91/Part
135 operations, fractional, subscription, etc. business jets,
video-conferencing, phone, email, and to  abandon many trips altogether.

The only positive in the short term is the comparative lack of
congestion-related delays.  (Remember the "good old days" when congestion was
the industry's biggest problem?)   For example, we are apparently not going to
get above 77% of DCA schedules prior to 9/11.  Why is this?  Seriously, what
justification?  And what justification for GA flight  restrictions?

What is being reported as being proposed (a.k.a. "free background and credit
check with every ticket") is overly broad, overly complex, provides no
meaningful benefit any time soon despite the claims of urgency (two year
development/deployment timetable; lots will happen in those two years, hopefully
no more 9/11s or AA63s), I won't even get into the potential for abuses that
will certainly occur and is far too expensive.   A few pennies per PNR (not
segment, not trip, not passenger) is all that a targeted, relevant process
should cost.

Can we afford another process that adds $2 per trip to fares?  Network airlines
struggle to make a few dollars/passenger, net, in an average year.  Every added
dollar of airfare plus taxes plus fees simply drives more people out of the
market for air travel.

This proposal, as reported, ought to be marked DOA.  If we want to go back to
the days when air travel was only for the chosen few, this is a good start.  The
broader issues are a worthy topic for the next GAO inquiry, perhaps ultimately a
Supreme Court case.

- Bob Mann
--
- R.W. Mann & Company, Inc.   >>  Airline Industry Analysis
  Port Washington, NY  11050  >>  tel 516-944-0900, fax -7280