WTO rules against Ottawa over help to jet maker

By David Ljunggò???ers) - The World Trade Organization ruled on Monday that
Ottawa had broken international trade rules by offering a C$1.7 billion
($1.1 billion) low-interest loan to help Canadian jet maker Bombardier
(BBDb) sell 75 passenger aircraft to U.S. airline Air Wisconsin.

The ruling was the first WTO defeat for Ottawa in a protracted trade battle
between Canada and Brazil over subsidies to their major aircraft makers,
which are rivals in the regional jet market.

Canada claims Brazil has been illegally subsidizing jet-maker Embraer
(EMBR3) for years and points out that the WTO has on five occasions ruled
against Brasilia's Proex export subsidy scheme.

The Canadian government partially welcomed Monday's decision, noting that
the WTO had not ruled against Ottawa's overall financing program. It added
that Brazil might be keener to push ahead with bilateral talks on ending the
dispute now that it had finally won a round at the WTO.

But officials told a news conference that Canada could still appeal the
ruling and talked tough when asked whether the subsidies would be withdrawn
if such an appeal failed.

"The government's commitment to Bombardier and its clients and its employees
remains firm on the question of Air Wisconsin financing," one official said.

When Canada announced the funding last year it said it was merely giving the
kind of aid that Brazil provides to Embraer. Air Wisconsin is a United
Airlines (UAL) affiliate.

The WTO also said Ottawa had broken the rules by offering loans to help
Bombardier, the world's No. 3 maker of commercial aircraft, sell planes to
Delta Airlines' (DAL) Comair and Spanish carrier Air Nostrum.

In total, the ruling covers some 80 aircraft, which have yet to be
delivered. Montreal-based Bombardier said it was disappointed by the latest
WTO ruling.

In 2000 the WTO gave Canada the right to impose a total of $2.1 billion
(U.S.) in sanctions over seven years on Brazil over its refusal to scrap
export subsidies for a total of 1,118 Embraer aircraft that had yet to be
delivered.

The WTO's latest ruling rejected eight other Brazilian complaints about
allegedly illegal financing of deals by Ottawa and the government of Quebec,
the French-speaking province where Bombardier is based.

"The WTO final report confirms that Canada's export financing programs meet
our international obligations," International Trade Minister Pierre
Pettigrew said in a statement.

Canadian and Brazilian officials are due to meet in New York on Feb. 8 to
hold another round of talks on how to resolve their dispute. Ottawa wants
both sides to agree to scrap all subsidies to the two aircraft
manufacturers.

"At this time we prefer to proceed through a negotiated settlement which
would lead to a mutually satisfactory solution on both sides," said one
official, who said Brazil might feel happier now that it had won something
at the WTO.

"We have a better chance of succeeding this time than we had last time. How
much better I don't know, we'll see," he told the news conference.