Re: Bomb Threat Diverts Jet to KEF

I read that a few times and thought it odd, and went to the great circle
mapper to check it out, and then I noticed it said the flight *landed* 6
hours after leaving London, not turned back 6 hours after leaving.

I haven't looked up the scheduled time of the flight, but based on
mileage I guess it's about 8.5 or 9 hours.   If they decided to divert
3.5 or 4 hours into the flight, the closest alternates appear to be KEF,
Gander, or the Azores.  The last is unsuitable, and perhaps KEF was
picked over Gander since it is also a U.S. military base.    From that
midpoint, it would be about 2 or 2.5 hours back to KEF, thus about a
6-hour flight.

It is also a possibility that they didn't want to divert to the U.S.
proper as a security issue as the threat was specifically against the
U.S. and Americans.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@postmodern.com