What new baggage check-in policies mean to you

What new baggage check-in policies mean to you
By Marilyn Adams and Edward Iwata, USA TODAY

An aviation security law taking effect Friday is prompting some airlines to
set new deadlines for passengers so luggage can be screened without
disrupting flights. The new federal law requires airlines start screening
all checked bags on domestic flights by bomb-detection equipment,
bomb-sniffing dogs, hand searches or matching bags to passengers aboard a
flight. This week, Delta and Continental announced a new bag-check deadline
to allow enough time for bag-matching or screening and other airlines could
quickly follow. Delta's and Continental's domestic passengers must check a
bag 30 minutes prior to flight time or they have to take a later flight.
American Airlines is said to be considering adopting the same 30-minute
rule. Wednesday, American's chief financial officer, Tom Horton said
matching bags to passengers systemwide Friday "is going to be a significant
challenge. I would guess on the first day it will be less than perfect" and
will improve over time. Although airlines aren't warning of big problems,
passengers should arrive at the airport early to minimize stress on the
system. Here's what fliers need to know about Friday's changes:

Q: What's the purpose of the new bag-screening law?
A: To prevent luggage carrying a bomb from being loaded into a plane's
cargo hold. In 1988, a bomb in such a suitcase destroyed a Pan Am jet and
everyone aboard over Scotland. Congress late last year passed this measure
so that checked bags as well as carry-on bags are more carefully screened.
Airlines already are required to bag-match on international flights.

Q: Will all bags on all flights be bomb-checked?