Air Canada slams Ottawa on market regulation

By Marianne White

QUEBEC CITY, Jan 16 (Reuters) - The head of Air Canada's (AC) regional
carrier slammed plans on Wednesday by the federal government to toughen
antitrust rules for airlines, saying that would hurt its ability to cut seat
prices.

Joseph Randell, president of the regional carrier, which operates as AirBC,
Air Nova, Air Ontario and Canadian Regional Alliance, said greater
regulation by Ottawa of the domestic airline industry would lead to more
jobs cuts and less service.

Ottawa is mulling whether to give the Competition Bureau, its antitrust
watchdog, more powers to clamp down on predatory pricing behavior by
airlines. Competitors of Air Canada, which has a domestic market share of
more than 80 percent and is the world No. 10 carrier, have accused it of
slashing prices on certain routes in a effort to squeeze out rivals.

Randell told a luncheon crowd that Air Canada is open to fair competition,
but he complained that the Montreal-based airline and its regional carriers
are already being hemmed in by market regulations and restrictions.

"It is a serious threat to regional transport in Canada and would compromise
the viability of small-town airports," Randell told a Quebec City board of
trade.

Randell said tougher competition rules would reduce Air Canada's regional
market share and limit its capacity to adjust schedules and ticket prices.

"If we are not competitive, our services will decrease considerably and it
would eventually lead to the abandonment of routes connecting remote areas,"
he said.

The bankruptcy in November of Canada 3000, then the country's second-largest
carrier, left Air Canada in command of the domestic market. There has been
increasing speculation that Ottawa may force it to reduce market share to
give rivals a better chance to compete.

Air Canada's regional carrier, which has a fleet of 121 aircraft and 4,700
employees, is chopping capacity by 24 percent, eliminating jobs and
abandoning several routes.

Randell said the job cuts will take place as planned up until April 6.

"Our focus for 2002 is going to be not losing a substantial amount of money,
and whatever it takes we've got to do it," he told reporters.

Money-losing Air Canada is also cutting up to 22 percent of its work force
of some 40,000 and has trimmed capacity by 20 percent.

Air Canada shares fell 12 Canadian cents or 2 percent to C$5.37 on the
Toronto Stock Exchange on Wednesday.

($1=$1.60 Canadian)