Re: Web site for airlines, equipment and routes

On Tuesday, January 15, 2002, at 06:25  PM, David Mueller wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 15, 2002, at 06:17  PM, Steven Catron wrote:
>> Off-topic, but are you replying to the message from Tyler I've copied
>> at
>> the bottom?
>
> Since the subject lines are the same I assume so.  Though my email
> program (Mac OS X Mail) was able to display it just fine.  I don't know
> why yours couldn't, the best I can think of is that the encoding and
> character set used (base64/UTF-8) is for some reason not able to be
> properly understood by your computer.

David,

It's not that computers/mail programs can't understand various MIME
encodings, it's that LISTSERV strips the MIME headers so that
information about the beginning and end of encoded portions, the type of
the content, and the name and parameters of the actual encoding, are all
missing.  In short, you just can't reliably send messages through
LISTSERV that are not plain, unencoded text.   Even quoted-printable
encodings are munged, so you get a lot of "=A" and "=20" at the end of
lines.

I am running Mac OS X Mail as well, but all I got was the encoded
gibberish.  My default character set is set to ISO Latin-1 instead of
UTF-8, however.

Given the limitations of LISTSERV and mail programs, though, I think
it's important for people to make sure to send unencoded plain text only
to the AIRLINE list.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@postmodern.com