Expect Even Longer Lines At US Airports From This Weekend

The top Republican on the Senate aviation subcommittee, Sen. Kay Bailey
Hutchison of Texas, warned that lengthy lines at airport security checkpoints
are almost certain to get longer next weekend when airlines are required by
law to inspect all checked baggage for explosives.

The Senator said yesterday on CNN: "This is going to cause a backup at many
airports... People are going to have even longer waits than we are used to
now."

The new aviation security law, passed in response to the September 11
terrorist attacks, requires airlines to have systems in place to inspect all
checked bags for explosives by Friday.

This could include sending the bags through explosive detection machines,
having them inspected by hand or bomb-sniffing dogs, or making sure that no
bag is loaded on a plane unless the passenger also boards.

"We are trying to screen, in some way, every bag that goes on an airplane,"
Hutchison said. "The major vulnerability we have today is checked baggage."

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman William Shumann said the agency
plans to enforce the law. He said FAA special agents at airports will check
to see if the bags are being inspected for explosives.

"The mandate is to screen all checked bags," Shumann said. "That's what we
will expect the airlines to do."

The Transportation Department is expected to announce this week how airlines
will meet the deadline.

"That deadline indicated to the Department of Transportation that Congress
wanted this done really quickly," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., on CNN.
"People want security in their travel. That's the only thing that will bring
travel up again."