Boeing says no plans to invest in Varig

SEATTLE, Jan 8 (Reuters) - Boeing Co. (BA) on Tuesday said it had no plans
to invest in Brazilian flag carrier Varig (VAGV4), denying a press report
that helped the airline's shares rise 33 percent earlier in the day.

"It's a false report. We are definitely not planning to invest either now or
in the near future," said Mike Tull, a spokesman for Boeing, the world's
biggest plane maker.

Tull noted that a contract announced in December, in which Boeing would buy
six Boeing jets leased to Varig by Wilmington Trust Corp. (WL), included a
clause saying the manufacturer would consider investing in the airline.

"We told them in the future we could consider investing in them, but the
fact is we are not," Tull said. "Three years later or five years later, I
don't know, you can never say never. But there is no investment planned
now."

Varig spokespersons did not immediately comment on the matter.

A press report on Tuesday said Boeing and General Electric Co. (GE), which
makes jet engines and owns hundreds of jets on lease through its GE Capital
subsidiary, might invest $1 billion in Varig, eliminating an onerous $830
million debt load.

In return Varig would agree to buy only Boeing jets, presumably equipped
with GE engines.

Latin America's largest airline, Varig flies to 20 countries outside Brazil.

Hit by slow ticket sales and rising operating costs since the Sept. 11
attacks along with most other airlines, Varig has announced it would cut 10
percent of its 17,500 workers and roll back fleet growth plans.

Boeing on Dec. 18 said it would buy four MD-11s and two 737-300s leased by
Varig and eliminate a rent-to-own provision in the contract with Wilmington
Trust, trimming the airline's debt by $370 million.