AA SS incident

Snips from a PRNewswire report:
"American Airlines today said it would not be deterred from protecting the
safety of its passengers by frivolous claims of racial profiling asserted by the
Washington, D.C. law firm of Relman & Associates."
"...American finds the ``facts'' released by the law firm today surprising and
irresponsible since the firm has not discussed this incident with any American
Airlines employee involved. Airline employees said the passenger, an armed
Secret Service agent, behaved inappropriately..."

AA Captain's report:

Armed passenger * flight 363 BWI/DFW. Flight was scheduled to leave at 1715. I
was notified that due to a mechanical at the next gate - they would hold our
push for approximately 30-40 minutes to try to accommodate those pax going to
DFW. A few moments later the *1 flt attendant brought to my attention that she
and other flt att were concerned about the actions of one of the pax. This pax
left the aircraft with carryon bags still in his seat. He told the flt att.
Please don't leave without him. While the pax was away a flt att observed books
in the individuals seat which were written in what she assessed was Arabic style
print. Upon further investigation - when the individual came back it was
determined that he was in fact our 'armed passenger'. I then decided to stop my
pre-flt and review the AA E2. The form was unreadable because it was a
carbon-copy and there were missing items. I then had the agent come back and
recheck his credentials and give me a new AA E2. Again this form was filled out
improperly. I left my seat to speak to the individual. He appeared nervous and
anxious. With all the forms that I received in error I determined that the most
prudent course of action was to call dispatch to phone patch me to the SOC. I
asked them to fax me a copy of what the Secret Service credentials looks like.
He advised me that BWI should have this information. BWI in fact does not. We
still were accommodating the connecting passengers and had time to further
determine the proper credentials of this person. While all this was going on the
individual approached me in front of the lead agent and asked why he was being
denied boarding for so long. I disclosed to him that the paper work was not
correct and that I needed to have this fixed before he would be accommodated.
This was an AA issue and none of his concern. At this time the individual became
very hostile with me. Upon all the information that I had up to this point - I
had doubt as to his actual representation as a Special Agent for the Secret
Service. 1. *Two improperly filled out AA Form E2. 2. *Flt atts bringing to my
attention what appeared to be strange behavior. 3. *Hostility toward me for
trying to correct my required paper work. I then had the Maryland Airport
Authority police determine his proper ID by calling the Secret Service as to his
legitimate status. This took about ten minutes to complete. In the interim I was
given a third improperly filled out AA Form E2. This had no signature of the
LEO. No initial as to the traveling status of the officer. No phone number.
While the police were determining the proper status of this individual this
person came up to me with loud abusive comments as to his being denied boarding.
That he has the powers of the White House behind him and that this is not of
[sic] the end of this matter. The police agreed with me that there was a
legitimate concern because of his unprofessional behavior. This was all in full
view of every passenger boarding the flight. He then said he would not board the
flt. As it turned out he was an actual LEO. After the events of 9/11 and another
of our fls targeted with explosives and causing injury to a flt att I absolutely
felt correct in having this individuals [sic] identification validated. After
three improper AA Form E2s [sic] and the behavior of this individual, I needed
to be 100% sure of his credentials. If he just let us do our job of getting the
paper work in order, he would have been boarded, and it would have been a
pleasure to carry an 'armed passenger'. With the lives of the entire passengers
and crew, I was uncomfortable with his actions and did what a Captain should do
and edge toward the side of safety and not move the aircraft until I'm confident
that all issues are satisfied before taking off. As a note, I am filling [sic] a
misconduct report with the Secret Services Internal Affairs division. I would
suggest that AA Security follow up on this matter because this individual made
the entire crew uncomfortable with his actions and absolutely with his
confrontational behavior toward me. The police officer who was very helpful was
officer (redacted). The case # was (redacted). The Secret Service Agent's name
was (redacted). Passports and fraudulent IDs can easily be altered to look
passable. With all the items to this event not adding up, I absolutely believe I
acted in the best interest of my crew, pax and AA.

Text of SOC Manager's Statement:

I was working as Center Manager on Christmas and received a call from Captain
(employee number ) flying flight 363 from BWI/DFW. The Captain had a concern
about a passenger onboard his flight. The Captain first requested a fax
containing all wanted terrorist photos that American had available. I explained
that this was not possible and asked exactly what problem he was encountering.
He said that he received paperwork for a passenger that stated he was a Secret
Service Agent and would be traveling armed. The Captain said that the paperwork
contained scratched out flight numbers and may have been altered. I then
suggested that the Captain request new paperwork. The Captain called back again
and stated the he was still questioning the validity of this passenger working
for the Secret Service because the secret service agent had failed to fill the
paperwork out properly again. I asked if he had looked at the agent credentials.
He said you work for the airline, you know how easy it would be to get fake I.D.
I suggested that I could call the Secret Service and verify that this passenger
was in fact an agent. I asked the Captain to request the agent's superiors [sic]
name and number. The Captain said that we should not use his information because
he could have a friend answering the phone when we called. I then suggested get
the local police to verify the I.D. since, being located at BWI, they would have
exposure to Secret Service I.D.'s and contact phone numbers. The next phone call
I received was from the AA ticket agent at BWI. He said that the Secret Service
agent had verbally abused the Captain and that the Captain was denying him
boarding. I asked to speak to the police officer that was witness to this, who
then verified what the ticket agent had stated. Based on this, I then decided to
end boarding to this passenger on future AA flights. Later, I received a call
from the AA ticket agent at BWI and was asked to talk to this Secret Service
Agent. I then heard the Secret Service Agent's side of the story. He admitted to
not properly filling out the paperwork for carrying a weapon; not once, but
twice. He also admitted to losing his temper with the Captain because he was
asked for his ID five separate times. When he asked why he was denied future
boarding, I explained that I could not expose AA crews or passengers to abuse.
He said he was being discriminated against, wanted my bosses [sic] name, and
threatened that he would have my job. He was going to take this to the highest
authority. I asked for his superior's name and contacted him. I explained the
situation to the superior. He confirmed that this man did work for the Secret
Service, and would contact him. A short time later the agent's superior called
back and said that he was sorry for losing his temper and would like to travel
out of DCA the next day. He then stated that the agent was of Middle Eastern
descent. I explained to the superior that I did not know this and that there was
no discrimination in the denied boarding process with SOC. I was 1,000 miles
away from the situation and handled it as we would for any unruly passenger. We
agreed the agent could travel the next day.

SOC Center Manager - American Airlines

SOURCE: American Airlines